Diablo Tuner vs Pedal Commander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric Grayson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question- I was wondering if there is anyone that has used the Diablo tuner for more than a year? If so have you had any problems?

I was thinking of purchasing but I am hesitant to play with the settings of my pcm.

Question- I wanted to know if anyone has had this installed ( Pedal Commander ) for more than a year? If so have you had any regrets or problems.

I can afford one or the other but not both. Just spent 2k on breaks, new manifold and bolt extraction K&N CAI and flow master muffler. Which purchase would you guys do over? The Pedal Commander or Diablo tuner if you could only afford one? Thanks for your input in advance

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The DiabloSport Tuner will do a lot more than the Pedal Commander. What is it you’re trying to accomplish in the end? All the Pedal Commander is adjust your throttle response for the most part. The DiabloSport can do the same thing and more. The downside to the DiabloSport is their tech support hours and if they can’t fix it remotely you end up shipping your PCM to them to reset and you have to reinstall it and pray that whatever setting you were trying to adjust doesn’t lock up the PCM again. And their tech support hours are during the hours that most of us work. They’ll pay for a tiny rental car until you get the PCM back but your truck sits useless until it gets back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

Eric Grayson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the information. That is what scares me on the Diablo tuner. I just want to have a better response from the 395 hp. Maybe a couple more now with K&N. Sometimes it feels like the penstar when taking off from a dead stop.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
They compliment each other extremely well, but since the tuner will give you more useable power and actual mpg gains that’s my recommendation.

Even the 87 canned tune was a substantial improvement.

One other suggestion is to offer an Intune i3 bid $70 less and buy an eBay 9-mode throttle controller. Boom, you have both.

Plus you have the hot 2014 8 speed, no PCM swap and the perfect trans tune is available from DiabloSport.

Gas Burner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemin
I’ve only had a PC not a tuner .
The PC is a year or so old no problems with it . My truck is still under warranty so I don’t want to mess with internal settings form a tuner . I know the PC didn’t add any more HP to my 6.4 Hemi 2500 but it sure woke up a sleeping giant .
No regrets with the $250 I spent on it .

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have had Diablo and PC for over a year and zero complaints. One of my trucks has both and they do compliment each other well. The other truck has only the Diablo, but that tuner also has a custom Jay Greene tune added with enhanced throttle response. Don't know if I will add a PC to that one as I am fine with it the way it is.

IMO, I would go with Diablo first and a PC later.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had my PC for almost 2 years and not a single issue. We have sold more pedal commanders than tuners by a mile. what is nice too is that you can start with a PC and if you still want to tune the truck you can run both and they will compliment each other.

We have the PC listed here, make sure to use code PC5 at checkout for your discount!
https://gotexhaust.com/i-23645471-2...ottle-response-controller-pc31-bluetooth.html

Let us know if you have any questions or if you are interested in anything else.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I’ve had both on my old 5.7 and I liked the PC the best! The PC will eat your lunch and leave you wanting more, Best mod for the money “hand down”. On the sport + mode you better have one hand on the steering wheel and the other on balls and hang on.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have both the PC and Diablo tuner. I've had them for over 2 years. Not a lick of trouble from either one of them. The PC will give you instant acceleration, faster than the tuner, however you gain no additional hp or tq from a PC. The tuner has standard tunes in it when you buy it. IMHO they are junk. A custom tune is the only way to go when it comes to a tuner. The difference is literally like night and day. Diablo is not generally known for their excellent customer service. Your tuner(if you have a custom tune) or your vendor should be able to help you with most problems you have. There may be incidences that occur that you will have to rely of Diablo to assist you. I run both a PC and a custom Hemifever engine tune and trans tune and both the PC and tuner compliment each other very well. If you want the most bang for your buck and you have to decide which you should get first I would go with the tuner. I also don't think with a 14 model you will have to get a unlocked PCM, however I'm not positive. You will see more all around improvement in the performance of your truck with the tuner. Good luck with your decision.
Jay

OP
OP
E

Eric Grayson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man I can't make up my mind. Which Diablo tuner? The Platinum i3 ?
I'm just paroniod it will back up my PCM

OP
OP
E

Eric Grayson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man I can't make up my mind. Which Diablo tuner? The Platinum i3 ?
I'm just paroniod it will back up my PCM

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Call Matt at Moe's Performance and talk with him about the tuners and your concerns. He can help you out. He is a preferred vendor on this forum.
Jay

Doodoo972

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Imo you can do a lot more things with the Diablo tuner. Buy a Intune3 platinum it will do the Pedal Commander job and more like: shut off the MDS, adjust TB repons till +20%, canned tune (87,91 or 93 octane tune) custom tuning, on so on...it's worth the money

chazerous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had a PC since Christmas time and love it. I picked up a DS i3 last week and put on the 87 tune and disabled MDS. Went to load the stock configuration yesterday so I could go back and change the shift points on the tune. It errored out and bricked my PCM. Called DS this morning and after an hour on the phone they had me send in my PCM. So my truck is sitting half way out of my driveway and half way in the street. I would be weary. Luckily I had access to another vehicle or I would've missed at least 2 day of work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had a PC since Christmas time and love it. I picked up a DS i3 last week and put on the 87 tune and disabled MDS. Went to load the stock configuration yesterday so I could go back and change the shift points on the tune. It errored out and bricked my PCM. Called DS this morning and after an hour on the phone they had me send in my PCM. So my truck is sitting half way out of my driveway and half way in the street. I would be weary. Luckily I had access to another vehicle or I would've missed at least 2 day of work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is the type of thing that keeps me on the fence of a tuner, cause yours is not a one off recount of issues with these things. It's like gambling...

Doodoo972

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It seems that the issues always happen when you wanna tune the trans settings

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I actually have had to deal with that issue twice with 2 different trucks and had to ship my PCM to Florida to get fixed. 1 was a Silverado and the other was my current Ram. I was trying to put a canned tune in both times. I’m extremely Leary of the DiabloSport tuners right now. As much as I know they’re recommended for Dodges, it scares me every time I plug 1 in to adjust something that it’s going to brick the PCM again. With my Silverado I had to ship it to the dealer even after I got the PCM back and they had to replace my TCM under warranty. DiabloSport paid for it all outside of what was covered by the warranty but it was like 2 weeks without my truck. I sold that tuner to a friend who has a Silverado and he’s had no problems with it. I know these are 1 off type incidents but it still bothers me and I don’t like that their tech support hours are during everyone’s working hours and never in the evening or overnight when most people work on their cars.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you buy your tuner directly from Diablo? If you buy parts from vendors that actually use the products instead of just selling parts, they can be extremely helpful when you have problems. They should be your "first line of defense" so to speak.
Jay

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I did get it straight from DiabloSport the first time. The second time, I saved some money and went with Amazon. But, if the product still comes from the same manufacturer what should it matter? It wasn’t a knockoff tool. The fact that they have crappy hours for tech support for those of us that work on our own cars/trucks after hours instead of sending it to a shop to be done shouldn’t have to deal with having to take days off of work just to talk to someone and have their vehicle be a useless brick for however many hours and days. That’s my point. The tool can work and is made well but there are just too many things out there that can happen that tech support should be available most of the day instead of during 9-5 work hours.