Did Redline Oil work against your Hemi Tick?

Did redline kill your hemi tick?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Isn't the mfg recommended weight 5W20?

You went with a heavier weight.

The question is: wouldn't any 5w30 oil had the same effect?

Been there done that. PUP 5-30 was also loud.

Yes, 5-20 is the manufacturer recommended, but search around here and you can see why it might not be the best for our engines.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This works!

10130_SynStab_800x950.jpg
I do have to admit before i found this forum and redline, I used this exactly probably 1/2 the bottle, not the whole. And...it actually did fix the tick. Now how and why i don't know, just thicker oil, maybe, maybe some ingredient was helpful, but it worked. But i liked what i was hearing about RL so i gave it a try and havent went back.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Been there done that. PUP 5-30 was also loud.

Yes, 5-20 is the manufacturer recommended, but search around here and you can see why it might not be the best for our engines.

Keep an eye on the syn thread. Corey is testing redline SI-1 to remove the carbon from his piston tops.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep an eye on the syn thread. Corey is testing redline SI-1 to remove the carbon from his piston tops.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Watching that.

Granted, my engine has lived an easy life and was noisy even with just 3K miles on it.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
0w40 in the PW
5w30 in the Mustang

ALL Red Line! This spring going to run some Red Line Fuel System Cleaner in there too

How is RL 0w40 working in the 6.4? I saw it has more actual viscosity than PUP and Amsoil so was curious to know if that helps or hurts all the hemis ailments.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How is RL 0w40 working in the 6.4? I saw it has more actual viscosity than PUP and Amsoil so was curious to know if that helps or hurts all the hemis ailments.

Viscosity is one thing, but there are many aspects to the redline formula built to combat friction. 5w20 redline killed my tick despite having the same viscosity as many brands. I would talk with @U&A, if it is real cold there you may want 0w40, but 5w30 and 5w40 redline are pretty special formulations as far as killing ticks. 5w30 redline would likely be thicker at the end of an oci then any 0w40, it is built right on the line of being a 40 weight oil.

KA1OTE

Ram Ham
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
So I'm curious.. what is the difference between the hemi tick and having a (very annoying!) ticking at startup?

I've owned my Ram for a little over 7 years and she only just recently began ticking at startup (at least I think it is recent, I now park in a garage and the sound is amplified and quite noticeable). I would love to know if there's anything I can do or use to eliminate the sound. She still shifts and drives smoothly so I don't think there's anything wrong with the engine components, but that sound(!).. I'd really like to know if it can be helped.

I don't know the first thing about changing my own oil. I rely on shops for that. If I change oil brands, would I just buy it somewhere and give it to my shop to use on my next oil change?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So I'm curious.. what is the difference between the hemi tick and having a (very annoying!) ticking at startup?

I've owned my Ram for a little over 7 years and she only just recently began ticking at startup (at least I think it is recent, I now park in a garage and the sound is amplified and quite noticeable). I would love to know if there's anything I can do or use to eliminate the sound. She still shifts and drives smoothly so I don't think there's anything wrong with the engine components, but that sound(!).. I'd really like to know if it can be helped.

I don't know the first thing about changing my own oil. I rely on shops for that. If I change oil brands, would I just buy it somewhere and give it to my shop to use on my next oil change?

That tick is hemi tick unless it is cold piston slap. If it happens when it's warm outside it is hemi tick. Two main causes, exhaust bolts or lifters. If you notice it at warm idle, that is bad hemi tick, and that is what we have cured with this oil as the poll clearly shows. You can take whatever oil you want to any quick change oil shop, most of them take a couple bucks only off the price.

If the noise is the same after an oil change, it's a good chance it is bolts.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You just don't find this info anywhere but here, so far 100% of 21 random guys say redline at least alleviates some of their hemi tick, 66% says it completely eliminates their ticks. I do understand some guys said it didn't help who didn't vote yet, and many many guys have long left the forum that also had hemi tick ended, but these numbers at a minimum suggest redline is a real answer for this. Simply changing a brand of oil and hemi tick goes away, still surprises me to this day.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
You just don't find this info anywhere but here, so far 100% of 21 random guys say redline at least alleviates some of their hemi tick, 66% says it completely eliminates their ticks. I do understand some guys said it didn't help who didn't vote yet, and many many guys have long left the forum that also had hemi tick ended, but these numbers at a minimum suggest redline is a real answer for this. Simply changing a brand of oil and hemi tick goes away, still surprises me to this day.

No it doesn't.

So guys went to a heavier weight RL. So, although they used RL the weight of the oil may have been the solution. Not the brand.

This isn't a scientific poll.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
No it doesn't.

So guys went to a heavier weight RL. So, although they used RL the weight of the oil may have been the solution. Not the brand.

This isn't a scientific poll.

Apparently you are unaware that the first tester was myself and I killed my tick with 5w20, but does this result not remotely encourage you to rethink your posts at all? Take me out of it and you have 20 guys that just reported redline is helping their hemi's and nobody saying it doesn't. Why crap on forum members experience when it has clearly benefited the forum? What's the point?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm not crapping ... you may be.

I don't want people to be mislead.

ok dude, just trying to be a part of finding solutions for hemi tick for the forum.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
14? yea, that is a lot

Ok so youve done the work to count that why dont you go back and read 1500 pages of evidence. (Synthetic oil thread) You havent provided us any to the contrary,instead of asking us to provide “proof” for every one of you that come on here and try to stir problems. Were doing ok here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casey1981