Diesel Bug / cost $10k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff4048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Diesel bug is a single microorganism or a consortium (group) of microorganisms that grow on diesel fuels.
It includes bacteria, filamentous moulds and yeasts. They feed on the hydrocarbons in the fuel and create biomass, biofilms and damaging by-products.
These microorganisms will live in even the smallest amounts of water, often from condensation, and at the interface of fuel and water, where they can create thick mats known as biomass. They can also coat surfaces and ‘climb’ up storage tank walls by creating biofilm.
WHAT HAPPENED: I got inoculated at a Chevron station, I had no idea. (I am trying to hold Chevron responsible as well, they are blowing me off.) The biomass clogged the fuel pump located in the fuel tank, resulting in a total break down. Towed to Walnut Creek Ram dealership. Dealership determined it was contaminated, They had no idea what it was, their fix was to "clean" the fuel tank and put in a new pump.
$2500 + I personally changed the filters twice, ($900) Walnut Creek dealer did not even suggest changing the filters... then 2000 miles later - same issue again. since they DID NOT treat the problem it came back. this time broke down in Redding Ca. Pulling a 12k fifth wheel. Redding dealership knew it was a diesel organism immediately. The proper solution was to replace the fuel tank with new vs clean THEN shock with Biocide to KILL the organism in the lines etc. also change fuel filters (duh) $5000 -- The Walnut creek dealership will not stand behind their work! They are refusing to return my payment or pay for the actual repair. with rentals / loss of use / and dealership bills i am out $10k
I will now use a maintenance dose of biocide with each fill up, also change the filters every 5k until they come up clean.
The Walnut Creel Ram dealer was completely ignorant and did not solve the issue, there is a Dodge memo regarding this issue (Redding guy showed it to me) and come to find out this is not all that uncommon, seen more in farm equipment & large tank storage, but this is not some new thing. The Walnut Creek Ram awful. they do not stand behind their work. I would suggest not to use that dealership for any repairs.
google it, read about it, a lot of you probably already were aware, i was not. use a biocide its an expensive lesson.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Sorry.

Yeah, states mandating biodiesel by law like mine (MN) got smacked with lawsuits by users due to their naiive laws. Biodiesel has very short shelf life before sliming with bacteria.

It also has a higher gel temp temp than No. 2 diesel fuel.
Again, the big Ag Corps bribed governments to require food for fuel.
Biodiesel has inherently higher lubricity and energy, however. The problem is buying from a known reputable high volume seller so you don't get old fuel. Then burn it all within a month.
We additize both our diesels with OptiLube with every fill. This is similar to alcohol gasoline, which doesn't store long, separates water, and has low energy.