Diesel Exhaust Fluid Crystal Formation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
@Goose55 can't help with a schematic but this should be the correct part for reference.
View attachment 465296
Sometimes the face can build up crystalized DEF, If I remember correctly the injector is just a simple 12V On/Off but usually just need to clean the face off.

So it looks like just a matter of removing 2 bolts and wiping that inner conical area with warm water.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
There is a gasket, and it took a little doing to remove the residue from the old gasket.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Someone mentioned that it is important to use fresh DEF but I am wondering if during times when my truck is not driven often if it may help to keep the DEF tank full. With as little air in the DEF as possible. ???

Josephc1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Depending on the year of the truck a diluted mixture works just fine. I think in the `16 or `17 year trucks they have a sensor detecting the def concentration. I have a `14, my def / distilled water is almost 50/50. ben running this way over three years, last check about a year ago I was at 17% concentration. When the def gauge gets down to almost empty I add 2.5 gallons of def + 2 gallons of DW. Pulling my 10K # 5th wheel camper about 1/2 the time all is well.

Your truck, do as you wish.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for posting your findings. Just goes to show that some on the WWW actually know what they’re talking about and some don’t.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Run distilled water with DEF. I’m not sure what ratio is but it will help with the pump and injector.
Great idea....Right up to the point where the specific gravity sensor in the tank determines it's been diluted and the "Service DEF" light goes off. Specific gravity changes as DEF ages, dependent on temperature and container seal. DEF can flow while DEF in the tank crystalizes, the crystalization changing the specific gravity to a point where it triggers the warning. This doesn't happen often...But I'm sure it happened one time so the internet buzzes. Ask an engineer, and they will tell you that you'll have a problem if you park the truck and don't drive it for three years. DEF is very resilient, in the grand scheme of things.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Will it help to keep the DEF tank full? With as little air in the DEF Tank as possible. ???

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not sure what years it works on, but it does work. My guess would 13-15, but that’s just a guess. Or get, better yet, delete that crap and have a reliable, good running truck. To each their own.

KC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great idea....Right up to the point where the specific gravity sensor in the tank determines it's been diluted and the "Service DEF" light goes off. Specific gravity changes as DEF ages, dependent on temperature and container seal. DEF can flow while DEF in the tank crystalizes, the crystalization changing the specific gravity to a point where it triggers the warning. This doesn't happen often...But I'm sure it happened one time so the internet buzzes. Ask an engineer, and they will tell you that you'll have a problem if you park the truck and don't drive it for three years. DEF is very resilient, in the grand scheme of things.
Hey Engineer here.
DEF contains Urea and water. Urea in its normal form is white crystals. When DEF loses its water content, Urea becomes solid again, that’s why you see the white crystallization.
32.5% Urea (for the ones that like chemistry: (NH2)2CO) and 67.5% de-ionised water.The fluid typically has a shelf life of 18 months. It does not expire technically, but it can lose its water content and the ratio of Urea/Water could change. This will affect engine emissions, since all the calculations in the ECU expect urea to be 32.5% of the DEF solution injected.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Add some de-ionized water to it.