Diesel issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FF376

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So asking for a friend... My boss has a '14 Ram 3500 dually crew cab 4x4 with the 6.7 Cummins. 136,000 miles. Well maintained but used as a truck to tow 5th wheel campers since new. Gave him a check engine light and codes for "turbo boost control circuit performance", turbo boost module performance" and "boost control". Shop he went to did not list the " P" numbers.... Anyway they told him it needs a new turbo for $4100 plus $1200 labor and some other non related stuff. So like $5500 for just the turbo. This seem reasonable to you guys? Thoughts on reman turbo vs new?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I would get a second opinion and ask, no demand I be given the code numbers, as for new or reman that all depends on who did the reman, who made the new turbo and what type of warranty does either one have... IMO $1200 for labor = 8 hours labor @ $150 hr, sounds a bit much too me but could be wrong...

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Could be just the actuator. Ram doesn't sell it separately, but Cummins does. Requires calibration on install. Alternative is City Diesel, which has stronger motor, better electronics, and is self calibrating. But please do proper troubleshooting before firing the parts cannon.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Most likely just the actuator, shops just love to rip people off. Like mentioned, have him get a City Diesel actuator, it will be about $1K if he can install himself. Verify it's the issue of course (most likely is)

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
My go-to diesel shop installed a new Fleece Cheetah turbo in my 2011 CTD for under $3900 out the door a couple years ago. I think the Fleece is much better than the OEM turbo.

OP
OP
F

FF376

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Update: replaced the actuator with a Cummins one and a Snap On scanner was able to calibrate it. Been a few hundred miles and good so far. City Diesel was backordered... Thanks