Difference in class IV hitch between towing package and Big Horn Level 2 package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI VVT
Just wondering if there's a difference in the class IV hitches between these two packages. I know these receivers have weight limits, so I'm curious if the hitch included with the towing package is beefier than the one that comes with the Big Horn Level 2 Equipment Group. Or, are they the exact same thing?

Thanks to anyone that might know.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought they were identical if both are class 4

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
A Class IV receiver is a Class IV receiver regardless of what package it's in and for that matter, regardless of what manufacturer or reseller sells it.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Just wondering if there's a difference in the class IV hitches between these two packages. I know these receivers have weight limits, so I'm curious if the hitch included with the towing package is beefier than the one that comes with the Big Horn Level 2 Equipment Group. Or, are they the exact same thing?

Thanks to anyone that might know.
The difference is only this. The Tradesman and Bighorn do not come standard with the class 4.

You either have to get it as a standalone option. As part of the tow package. Or as part of a level package.

Rebel Laramie Longhorn and Limited come standard with it. One of the reasons the towing package is a waste of money with them...and for the first years of the 5th Gen actually lost options such as surround view and power fold.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
My 2019 came with a class V hitch and an adapter to neck down to a class 4.
HeavyDuty comes standard with Class V. All trims. And all should come with the reducer to go from the 2.5 inch class V ball mounts to the 2 inch ball mounts.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I didn't like the slop when using the reducer. Went back to Equal-I-zer and bought a 2.5 inch shank. Smooth as silk now.