Dire need of help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ganarful

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 v8 magnun
My sons 1996 dodge ram 1500 wont crank only will start if I bypass starter relay, tried different relay out of a different Vehicle I know starts and no go. Is the ignition switch my last option for replacement? The I.O.D. fuse was blown when I started checking the starting issue. I've replaced starter, battery, cleaned cables, replaced cable ends so far. Started by jumping the relay and went a mile across town. When stopped to shut off vehicle motor kept spinning, than smoking. Smoke came from the starter area and will not start when I jump relay contacts now. Please any help on this is great thank you.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
When stopped to shut off vehicle motor kept spinning, than smoking. Smoke came from the starter area and will not start when I jump relay contacts now. Please any help on this is great thank you.

When you say it kept spinning do you mean like if you were trying to crank it with the starter?

OP
OP
G

Ganarful

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 v8 magnun
It didn't sound like it was cranking but acted like it. I'm gonna look for burnt wires on ignition switch and behind fuse boxes just in case there is a short.

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
may have burnt up the starter. or wires to it.