Disable tailgate lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MFSNanaimo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a way to disable the tailgate lock? I have never had one before and am finding it a PITA.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I've installed aftermarket tailgate locks before. There is usually a motor running a plunger that locks it. I would take the metal plate off of your tailgate, look for the wires going to the motor and disconnect/clip them.

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yeah, I think unplugging the tailgate motor is about it.
On a 2017 that's the 2 wires on the left, other connector is the backup camera.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, what you're saying is, you don't like carrying your keys in your pocket? :)
I hate that thing too, and unless you have a hard tonneau what is the point of locking the tailgate?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I hate that thing too, and unless you have a hard tonneau what is the point of locking the tailgate?
Slow someone down from stealing your tailgate. Not many thieves are going to spend the time to pull the access panel to unlock the tailgate.
If your going to disable the handle lock, get a tailgate lock that keeps someone from removing the tailgate.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slow someone down from stealing your tailgate. Not many thieves are going to spend the time to pull the access panel to unlock the tailgate.
If your going to disable the handle lock, get a tailgate lock that keeps someone from removing the tailgate.
I’ve had 9 Rams, 2 Chevy and 1 Ford truck and have never had a tailgate stolen.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I've had 5 pickups and never have had one stolen either, but I have heard about dealerships that have had a bunch stolen (before the locking ones)....devastating news, I agree.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had 5 pickups and never have had one stolen either, but I have heard about dealerships that have had a bunch stolen (before the locking ones)....devastating news, I agree.
It would be nice if it was setup that one cluck in the remote kicks doors and second click locked the tailgate. That was you could lick the doors and still work out of the bed

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It would be nice if it was setup that one cluck in the remote kicks doors and second click locked the tailgate. That was you could lick the doors and still work out of the bed

I agree, I even didn't mind how it was on my 11, where it was just a separate manual lock rather than locking with the doors.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque

Nine stolen in my neighborhood last year - in one night - and guess which trucks still had tailgates the next morning...yep, those of us with factory tailgate locks. I also had installed the rubber hose and hose clamp on the one side of the tailgate as an extra deterrent as we have an issue here in the greater Houston area with stolen tailgates...especially those with factory reverse cameras.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nine stolen in my neighborhood last year - in one night - and guess which trucks still had tailgates the next morning...yep, those of us with factory tailgate locks. I also had installed the rubber hose and hose clamp on the one side of the tailgate as an extra deterrent as we have an issue here in the greater Houston area with stolen tailgates...especially those with factory reverse cameras.

Yeah it's certainly nice to have the ability to lock them, especially since they are so much more expensive with the camera in them. Makes sense for a thief too, if it's unlocked and you knew what you were doing, you could make a good chunk of money in no time.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel

I just opened and dropped my tailgate on the trailer tongue jack a few times. Leaves a nice big honkin' dent in the upper middle part of the tailgate, yeah, that part right where the metal bends over and can't be easily repaired. Nobody steals a damaged tailgate... LOL

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use a gm hose clamp on the right side hinge post on the right side. But I do have a MY 19 which of course is electronic lock, no key and also now have a tonneau cover there, which is lockable. But everybody knows a "lock" keeps honest PPL honest, just saying...

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a way to disable the tailgate lock? I have never had one before and am finding it a PITA.

So how is it a pain in the ass? I guess maybe I speak for myself but I love that my tailgate locks with the rest of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I’ve never had a tailgate stolen either but I have known of several people who have. Since they make tailgates these days so easy to remove anymore, it’s kinda dumb not to have it lock, or at least one of those locks that goes over the hinge to at least make it harder to steal.

I have a hard tonneau cover over my bed that stays locked all the time so I kinda need my tailgate to lock electronically the way it does just to secure the **** that stays in my bed all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro