how to disable auto unlock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nanvanplan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2017 RAM 1500 that is not key fob capable. With auto unlock enabled, I must either lean across the cab or walk around the vehicle to lock the passenger door... super annoying!
The option to disable auto unlock is not available in the menus of the instrument panel or the center touch screen. The only procedure I have found online involves turning the key in the ignition multiple times and then using the lock button on the door armrest... which I do not have. I visited a dealership today to get a spare key programmed. I asked them to disable auto unlock. They found the option for auto lock, but not auto unlock on their computer.
Has anyone solved this problem?

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was going to say, did you check both the instrument panel and the center screen options, but... yes you did. I know mine has the auto lock option, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure about unlock.

When you lock the door from the outside, what if you turn the key twice? I know on some past vehicles, I've done that to lock/unlock the remaining doors.

OP
OP
N

nanvanplan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A friend suggested that trick... no luck.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Are you saying you have no power lock on your truck, as in no power button to lock the doors. If so, and power unlock works it means you have the powered door lock mechanisms already. I would think adding the power lock door button would be the easiest fix.

OP
OP
N

nanvanplan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The technicians said it was more involved than simply adding a button panel. I imagine even that would be pricey. I shouldn't have to upgrade in order to keep my doors locked!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The technicians said it was more involved than simply adding a button panel. I imagine even that would be pricey. I shouldn't have to upgrade in order to keep my doors locked!
Well then, outside of seeing if AlphaOBD has a solution, I don't have any more suggestions, hope you find a solution then. Best of luck, let us know what you find out.

P.S. One thought, disconnect the power to the power lock motor on the passenger side or pull the fuse if there is a dedicated one. Take it back to full manual.

Last edited:

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2017 RAM 1500 that is not key fob capable. With auto unlock enabled, I must either lean across the cab or walk around the vehicle to lock the passenger door... super annoying!
The option to disable auto unlock is not available in the menus of the instrument panel or the center touch screen. The only procedure I have found online involves turning the key in the ignition multiple times and then using the lock button on the door armrest... which I do not have. I visited a dealership today to get a spare key programmed. I asked them to disable auto unlock. They found the option for auto lock, but not auto unlock on their computer.
Has anyone solved this problem?

Page 33 of the 2017 Ram print owner’s manual provides instructions on how to enable or disable the Auto Unlock feature, based upon the two types of screens available on the vehicle.

Did you read this section, and then the sections referenced?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Page 33 of the 2017 Ram print owner’s manual provides instructions on how to enable or disable the Auto Unlock feature, based upon the two types of screens available on the vehicle.

Did you read this section, and then the sections referenced?
Good point. Have to be honest, I presumed he would have read his owners manual since this bugs him so much, but will be interesting to know.

OP
OP
N

nanvanplan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I mentioned, the auto unlock option is NOT available on either screen.
Who is "he"? Yes, it bothers me. It would bother anyone.
After searching the screens and the Internet and taking it to a dealership, I came to this forum to see if anyone else had dealt with this specific situation.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So how is it you have power locks without a button on the door to Lock/Unlock the locks? How is it not key fob capable? Sounds like something aftermarket and/or your dealership isn't being truthful.

If the power locks are factory you should be able to go in with AlfaOBD to enable/disable the lock options that would normally be found on the radio screen. The dealership WiTech doesn't always have the options that AlfaOBD does.