Disabling the Drivers Door Chime

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JosephA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
For one reason or another you may want to disable the door chime when the drivers door is open. As mentioned by other members you can trip the door latch while the door is open but I wanted a different approach so I installed a switch that would perform roughly the same function but is much easier to set.
Note: When the switch is in the open position it will also stop the interior lights from coming on when the driver's door is open. Not really a factor for what I want to accomplish.

1) Removing the door panel:
Remove the plastic trim covering the mirror mount. This simply pulls off.
Remove the 6 black, plastic star screws and plugs around the perimeter of the door.
Remove the trim piece behind the interior door handle and the philips screw behind it.
Remove the Window/Door Lock switch by lifting the rear first and disconnect the 2 harnesses.
Grab the door panel by the handle you'd pull to close the door with and give a sharp lift upwards.
Carefully pull the panel away from the door and disconnect the LED and speaker connectors.

2) Wiring:
The Violet wire in the picture (with the safety pin) is the door ajar sensor wire. When this goes to ground it indicates to the BCM that the door is open. When the circuit is open the BCM thinks the door is closed. To make the BCM think the door is closed you simply have to insert a switch inline that opens the circuit.
DC1.jpg

Cut the Violet wire.
Solder a length of wire to each end.
DC2.jpg

Solder the other end of the wires to a switch of your choice mounted in a location of your choosing.
I chose to install the switch in the lower storage compartment of the door panel.
DC4.jpg

3) Reassembly:
Secure your new wiring so it does not get pinched or pulled during reassembly.
DC3.jpg

Reconnect the LED and speaker connectors.
Insert the door handle through its opening in the door.
Insert the door lock pin through the opening in the top of the panel.
Make sure the Window/Door Lock connectors are in place and accessible to reconnect to the Window/Lock switch.
With the panel raised about 1-2 inches from its installed position, hold the panel against the door so the retainers on the back of the panel engage the door and lower the panel.
Reinstall the screw and trim piece behind the interior door handle.
Reinstall the 6 black plugs and star screws around the door.
Reinstall the mirror trim cover.
Reinstall the Window/Door lock switches by reconnecting the 2 harnesses then insert the front end first into the opening then lower the rear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JosephA

JosephA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Another thing this does is stop the 'key fob has left the vehicle' notification by stopping the truck from checking. Lately I've been keeping the switch in the door-closed position all the time. The bus goes to sleep eventually anyway.

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
For one reason or another you may want to disable the door chime when the drivers door is open. As mentioned by other members you can trip the door latch while the door is open but I wanted a different approach so I installed a switch that would perform roughly the same function but is much easier to set.
Note: When the switch is in the open position it will also stop the interior lights from coming on when the driver's door is open. Not really a factor for what I want to accomplish.

Remove the 6 black, plastic star screws and plugs around the perimeter of the door.
Remove the trim piece behind the interior door handle and the philips screw behind it.
Remove the Window/Door Lock switch by lifting the rear first and disconnect the 2 harnesses.
Grab the door panel by the handle you'd pull to close the door with and give a sharp lift upwards.
Carefully pull the panel away from the door and disconnect the LED and speaker connectors.

2) Wiring:
The Violet wire in the picture (with the safety pin) is the door ajar sensor wire. When this goes to ground it indicates to the BCM that the door is open. When the circuit is open the BCM thinks the door is closed. To make the BCM think the door is closed you simply have to insert a switch inline that opens the circuit.
DC1.jpg

Cut the Violet wire.
DC2.jpg

Solder the other end of the wires to a switch of your choice mounted in a location of your choosing.
I chose to install the switch in the lower storage compartment of the door panel.
DC4.jpg

3) Reassembly:
DC3.jpg

Make sure the Window/Door Lock connectors are in place and accessible to reconnect to the Window/Lock switch.
With the panel raised about 1-2 inches from its installed position, hold the panel against the door so the retainers on the back of the panel engage the door and lower the panel.
Reinstall the Window/Door lock switches by reconnecting the 2 harnesses then insert the front end first into the opening then lower the rear.

Can you please re-upload the photos?

pay97ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L

2) Wiring:
DC1.jpg

Cut the Violet wire.
DC2.jpg

DC4.jpg

3) Reassembly:
DC3.jpg

Didn’t change a thing on my truck.