Disappointed 2022 2500 CTD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Np2mr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTF
I just received my new 2022 2500 Big Horn CTD in January. I was pretty excited since I had never ordered a new vehicle and it came in at 3 months ( was told could be as much as 5 months).

Quickly disappointment set in….

At 210 miles I got a malfunction message for the DEF system. I was heading in to work on a 40 degree day and didn’t give it much thought. Heading home the next morning I got the “Limp Mode” countdown.

Took it to the dealership where they found a P203E, reductant level sensor. They drained the tank, cleaned ice out and refilled the tank. So I was happy…. For a minute.

4 days later, again driving to work I get a check engine light. I scanned the code myself, P208C. Called the dealership back and they said they have to order a new DEF pump. The part is back ordered. They have been waiting about 4 weeks to get some in. Said that my truck was the 6th in line for them. I called FCA and they issued an expideted part ticket, but still no word on time frame.

I can’t believe that a new vehicle needed service before I had to make the first payment and that at 617 miles needs another service. I get that the dealer didn’t cause the problem and is at the mercy of FCA but it is extremely disappointing none the less.

This is my 5th vehicle from FCA and may be my last.

Rant over…. For now

Trick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I understand your frustrations and I'm sorry. Nothing more frustrating then laying that kind of cash out on the table only to have these kind of problems. In all fairness though it could happen to anyone at any time and with any manufacturer. I just hope they can make it right for you sooner than later. I wish these products didn't have to have these emissions products attached to them.... Just more things to break. Good luck my friend.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just received my new 2022 2500 Big Horn CTD in January. I was pretty excited since I had never ordered a new vehicle and it came in at 3 months ( was told could be as much as 5 months).

At 210 miles I got a malfunction message for the DEF system. I was heading in to work on a 40 degree day and didn’t give it much thought. Heading home the next morning I got the “Limp Mode” countdown.

Took it to the dealership where they found a P203E, reductant level sensor. They drained the tank, cleaned ice out and refilled the tank. So I was happy…. For a minute.

4 days later, again driving to work I get a check engine light. I scanned the code myself, P208C. Called the dealership back and they said they have to order a new DEF pump. The part is back ordered. They have been waiting about 4 weeks to get some in. Said that my truck was the 6th in line for them. I called FCA and they issued an expideted part ticket, but still no word on time frame.

I can’t believe that a new vehicle needed service before I had to make the first payment and that at 617 miles needs another service. I get that the dealer didn’t cause the problem and is at the mercy of FCA but it is extremely disappointing none the less.

Rant over…. For now
I know it sucks. My friend bought a new 1500 GMC a few months ago. The engine blew with less than 200 miles on it. He had to have his wife drive an hour at 10 o'clock at night to pick him and his son up and bring them home...so it could be worse!!!

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Chevy actually had a recall on them back in 2016. so no ram is not the first one with this issue and supply shortage is the issue now. you wont hear about it with chevy and ford as most of their trucks are sitting in a field right now. my chevy def tank went out in 2020 and it was from a cold snap. Def heater was bad you would never know till it got cold enough to freeze. I got the last one the dealer had and it was back ordered since. the good thing is this will fall under the California emissions warranty law and they have to cover it for min 70k miles. If you want to blame someone blame the people making us use DEF that can freeze lmao.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My 2017 CTD left me stranded 3 times in the middle of nowhere when it was new for the very same failure.

Dealers didn't know how to fix it. All they could do was clear the code and send me on my way.

After the third failure the truck got a full delete and tune package. No more problems.

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My employer rented me a new truck for me to use for work. I lasted two weeks and started to have engine problems.
It was swapped out for a another truck at the dealer as a temporary measure until the new truck was fixed.
I turned out the motor has to be replaced and the motor was going to take from 6 weeks to 3 months, it is still waiting 3 months later at the dealer for a motor. It was a new Chev 1500, any vehicle can be defective from factory like any other product.

Ramtop

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4L
Chevy actually had a recall on them back in 2016. so no ram is not the first one with this issue and supply shortage is the issue now. you wont hear about it with chevy and ford as most of their trucks are sitting in a field right now. my chevy def tank went out in 2020 and it was from a cold snap. Def heater was bad you would never know till it got cold enough to freeze. I got the last one the dealer had and it was back ordered since. the good thing is this will fall under the California emissions warranty law and they have to cover it for min 70k miles. If you want to blame someone blame the people making us use DEF that can freeze lmao.
Go onto the Ford forums, there is a lot of people complaining because their trucks with little mileage, are parked broken down and waiting for parts. Some reporting waiting weeks to months

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go onto the Ford forums, there is a lot of people complaining because their trucks with little mileage, are parked broken down and waiting for parts. Some reporting waiting weeks to months

Yep it's just all around that way. Look at how many fords are sitting waiting for chips lol. If that was me waiting on a back order part i wouldn't wait on the dealer to find me my part I would go get it myself and get my truck going. I would lose too much money if I didn't.

Last edited:

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sounds like the QLS sensor in the DEF tank on newer International trucks. They cannot get them. their temporary fix is to reprogram that function out of the computer and telling the customer they MUST return to have it restored to as delivered condition once sensors become available. Working on IDOT trucks, we have a bunch of these trucks affected by this. 6 IDOT yeards worth, each yard has at least 2 trucks that I know of with this issue. they wont preorder sensors either. EACH truck has to go back to the International dealer where it sits while they "build a case file" before they alter the programming, and let us have these trucks back

River Cobra

Reaction score
Been waiting 5 months and counting for various Ford Bronco parts from a collision on RF last fall. Have gotten Ford to "escalate" and still waiting. Had an attorney write a letter but unless I want to spend thousands in legal to continue pursuing, I'm waiting. Supposedly the last of the parts off backorder in late March. I'll believe when I see it. Maybe not unique to Ford, but I'll never buy a f'in blue oval again. Part of why I'm on this forum. Looking to trade my '19 F150 for a new Ram HD.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
At least you are getting some sort of ETA. When the one in my 2016 went out it was out of warranty. Called 25 dealers trying to find one. All said part was on national backorder with no ETA.

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had this same issue last weekend. They cleaned it out and cleared it. So far so good. I have a Limited Cummins on order that is built awaiting delayed shipment. I'm very much considering re-ordered a 6.4 Hemi with 4.10s after getting to use one to tow my work trailer while my CTD was at the dealer.

campbemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins

Rant over…. For now
4th time to the dealership with "Service DEF System See Dealer". @RamCares you put a block heater on the truck for coolant that is good to -20F. Time to upgrade the DEF tank heater. My dealer does a great job of getting me in and reprogramming the PCM.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
Man hate to hear this! Frustrating to say the lease.

I think there are more issues with most new trucks now days regardless of who makes them. I've heard issues from GM and Ford too on brand new trucks. Seems like more so with diesels which is the main reason I went gas. With all the labor issues I don't see material shortages and delays changing anytime soon.

raggdoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie, 2018 Sport, 2021 3500 6.7, 2014 Sport, 2021 Classic Night Express
Engine
hemi 5.7
4th time to the dealership with "Service DEF System See Dealer". @RamCares you put a block heater on the truck for coolant that is good to -20F. Time to upgrade the DEF tank heater. My dealer does a great job of getting me in and reprogramming the PCM.
???

RAINCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I tried to find a way to justify a CTD. The $9,400 motor upgrade is getting a bit ridiculous, but if you can get longevity you could still make a case for it - significant longevity.

Yes you have to allow a regen to fully cycle, and why are they do not put a manual region on non-chassis cabs is beyond me.

However it seems the OP was not even in his truck long enough to need a regen.

It seems like even when they work they’re too sensitive to have any degree of confidence regarding longevity and reliability - to critically important components
to make the CTD worth it.

It seems the current emissions designs create the exact opposite of what CTD is known for - and what must be obtained to justify the cost.

Unless you absolutely have to have the torque of a CTD, I just don’t see how it’s worth it.

Thus a 6.4/4/10 now sits in my driveway.

Not as cool as a CTD and not as fun.
But it works and it is reliable which is actually both cool and fun…

NOTE: Neither China or Russia adhere to emission standards nor will they ever. So the ultimate purpose of the EPA is not to save the planet it’s simply to inhibit the American economy and give a reason to squash independence and that’s the only thing it ever has done or will do.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Right up until the 6.4 develops the Hemi Tick/lifter failure and/or warped exhaust manifolds.

RAINCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hopefully not but even if that happens, a fraction of the cost of a CTD to correct.

I can buy a 2nd crate motor for the cost of a CTD and every $1500 instance of non-warrantied omissions only adds to the point.

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Just like Hemi Tick and warped manifolds don't happen to every Hemi, emissions issues don't happen to every Cummins. Fallacy of composition or hasty generalization rarely turn out to be true.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01