Disappointed in rancho quicklifts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with rancho to avoid upper ball joint issues.

After 10 months the lower isolator broke. Its glass filled nylon not urethane.

The lifetime warranty is a bunch of crap. Rancho does not do warranty claims. You have to go thru the dealer. So buy somewhere reputable. I bought from amazon LLC. They couldn't get a new one till november or december. Had to get a refund and buy locally, losing $80 in the process.

I dont offroad or go on rough roads. None the less isn't rancho supposed to be for offroading?

Rancho couldnt provide with a replacement part nor apologies for putting my life in danger

397b95522055bea5c517566cdf004f6c.jpg2f65a7d535bf4088e7809a9bf15710d7.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man that's a shame... gotta admit I've returned a full set of Rancho 9xxx series shocks I bought for a different 4wd a couple years back, they just felt cheap, the adjuster knobs were inconsistent (like 3 were almost free spinning and 1 was almost impossible to move.. ) and on one of the shocks the molded-in-place bushing was the wrong size. I even went to the trouble of buying a replacement for that unit, then installed all of them and just couldn't love the way it rode no matter how I fiddled with the knobs.

Well live and learn.. I'm still really happy with Bilstein on that truck (what I put on after returning the Ranchos), on my Ram and on my wife's Mustang.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No they're not offroad shocks and you're the 2nd documented case with that lower isolator self destructing on its own that've seen around here. Not good for Rancho's reputation. as for your life being in danger, lol. it's an isolator, not the bolt holding your entire strut assembly down.

I'm still happy with Ranchos. Bought them 2 years ago and i haven't have a single issue with them. Fact i'm running the 9000's in the back right now Woo wooo :)

Also i wouldn't blame the OP for returning them. You do you. Just know Rancho is not the only company experiencing delays building their products. Fox needed 10-12 weeks to build me a pair of shocks, Kings took 8 weeks, normal prod time for them is around 6 weeks. Bilstein 6112's have been unavailable for months, sometimes you get lucky and can snatch a set here and there, Eibach or 5100's suffer the same fate, and that's without the China flu. Covid19 is not making our lives any easier.

Last edited:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The lifetime warranty is a bunch of crap. Rancho does not do warranty claims. You have to go thru the dealer. So buy somewhere reputable. I bought from amazon LLC. They couldn't get a new one till november or december. Had to get a refund and buy locally, losing $80 in the process.

I dont offroad or go on rough roads. None the less isn't rancho supposed to be for offroading?

Rancho couldnt provide with a replacement part nor apologies for putting my life in danger

Damn, so did you switch to another brand for both or just replace that one with another Rancho?

OP
OP
M

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn, so did you switch to another brand for both or just replace that one with another Rancho?
Just replaced the. Its the cheapest and quickest for now.

I now wish i never the the old ones away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No they're not offroad shocks and you're the 2nd documented case with that lower isolator self destructing on its own that've seen around here. Not good for Rancho's reputation. as for your life being in danger, lol. it's an isolator, not the bolt holding your entire strut assembly down.

I hear ya, i wasnt in eminent danger. The isolator is there to evenly load the spring onto the perch and provide abrasion resistance. The spring is now applying the weight onto a smaller area. The metal used isnt the most thick. Luckily i only had to drive 25 miles home on a smooth road.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear ya, i wasnt in eminent danger. The isolator is there to evenly load the spring onto the perch and provide abrasion resistance. The spring is now applying the weight onto a smaller area. The metal used isnt the most thick. Luckily i only had to drive 25 miles home on a smooth road.

The metal used is steel and its 1/8" thick. Same thickness as most aftermarket steel bumpers.

Dakota2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Holy Crap!!
I thought about these and now I’m glad I went with Bilsteins.

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I could be wrong, but I think most struts don't have an isolator on the bottom.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Regardless the Rancho warranty claim,You have to go through the reseller.

From Rancho website
LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY QUALIFYING PRODUCTS:
Rancho® quickLIFT™
Rancho® RS9000XL™ Shock Absorbers
Rancho® RS7000MT™ Monotube Shock Absorbers
Rancho® RS5000™ Shock Absorbers
Rancho® RS5000X™ Shock Absorbers
Rancho® Light Truck Suspension Components

1-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
Rancho® RockGear™ products carry a 1-Year Limited Warranty against defects in materials or workmanship (except finish).

90-DAY LIMITED WARRANTY
Rancho® RS9000XL™ extended length and coil-over shock absorbers carry a 90-Day Limited Warranty against defects in materials or workmanship (except finish).

*Tenneco’s obligation under the Limited Lifetime Warranty, 1-Year Limited Warranty and 90-Day Limited Warranty is limited to replacement of the defective or worn-out product (except finish) with the same (or substantially comparable) product in accordance with this warranty. Cost of removal and installation are not included, and any incidental and consequential damages are excluded under this warranty, regardless of when the failure occurs. The warranties have no cash value and are valid only in North America and Canada. The warranties do not apply to products which have been modified, improperly applied or installed on vehicles used for commercial or racing purposes. Further, these warranties are limited to use on privately owned passenger cars or light trucks. The warranties do not apply to extended length shock absorbers or products not specifically listed for applied vehicle. The warranties do not apply to normal wear components, including, but not limited to, suspension bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints or spherical rod ends.

To make a claim under this warranty, return the worn-out or defective product with the dated original receipt to the dealer or retailer from whom it was purchased or to a Tenneco dealer for verification and exchange under this warranty."

Rancho is not the only company using such approach. I had Mevotech rear control arms that only lasted 8k miles, prob a bad batch like in your case. I called Mevotech and they said they didn't warranty the parts directly and that i had to go through the reseller. I bought the arms from Rockauto so i contacted Rockauto and they sent me brand new rear control arms.

Don't know why Amazon was giving the OP crap on a replacement though, perhaps they didn't have one avaialble when the OP initiatated the claim ? they show both parts available as of today.

Somebody else had the exact same issue as the OP with those isolators couple of months ago, and he said he got the struts in Nov 2019, which basically match the OP 10 month timeline as well.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/rancho-quicklift-problems.166032/

I know it sucks and again i would't blame the guy for wanting to throw them in the garbage. I won't sugar coat it those isolators are probably crap. I believe a bad batch may be at play. I don't get paid by Rancho just in case i just think chit happens. You see if this was Fox or Bistein people will say it was somebody smoking pot who did the assembly, but when it happens to Rancho or RC the collective minds all come together to complaint about how chitty these products are. Perception is everything. Nobody in this forum seems to have an issue with 5100's washer design and if it's not installed correctly either the strut and/or the top mount can get messed up. Eibach doesn't have that issue because Eibach makes it right.

Write an email to Tenneco and link your thread and the other i posted where they can see pictures. I'm sure you and the other dude who had the same issue won't be the only ones having the same problem . Help the community letting them know there is something ****** up wrong about their isolators or anything they sell.

Check the other strut too and make sure the other isolator is not about to crack. You can always buy 5100's or RC or Eiibach etc or work something out with Amazon and try get the 2nd Rancho strut new. i know i'd like to have both of them new to make sure i don't have to go through the process again, or i'll throw them in the trash and start over with something new.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The bottom of the coil is straight cut so it is necessary to either have a die stamped steel lower mount (which nobody sells as a unit a la carte) or a molded ramp to distribute the weight on the bottom coil so it doesn't bow or experience secondary harmonics from unequal loading (which is noisy and reduces the longevity of the coil).

It would be possible to mill out a ramp too but nobody could economically justify the machine time to manufacture like that for a product any of us care to afford

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was referring to the die stamped OEM lower mount.

Looks like the OEM lower mount is shaped to seat the spring, whereas these use a flat mount and utilize this molded plastic piece to seat the spring.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone found a molded ramp for the bottom that's sold a la carte? There's a top one (Monroe 907931 ) but I think it's slightly bigger diameter than the bottom one would need to be. The ProComp struts come with black molded plastic lower ramps but they're part of the goodie bag and not sold a la carte and don't have part numbers on them.

MudderRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just replaced the. Its the cheapest and quickest for now.

I now wish i never the the old ones away.

I have the Rough County N3 preloaded struts and have not had any issues. They are the best value right now in the market. I got exactly the height lift they claimed. It's a option if decide to take off the Ranchos. Good luck.

OP
OP
M

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just looked at the rough country and remember why i didnt buy them.

It comes with spacers. 2 things, spacers cause upper ball joint issues in my truck also i didnt need new shocks i could have just got spacers.

MudderRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just looked at the rough country and remember why i didnt buy them.

It comes with spacers. 2 things, spacers cause upper ball joint issues in my truck also i didnt need new shocks i could have just got spacers.

Spacers? Mine didn't come with any spacers. Just the strut with spring already mounted. I didn't need anything else. The UCA angle looked great after the installation.

Basically you are taking one strut or and replaced with another of the same but slightly longer.

https://www.roughcountry.com/dodge-leveling-struts-500028.html?find=2018-dodge-ram-1500-4wd-739638

OP
OP
M

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its official, Rancho is a piece of crap.

I was doing tranny drain and fill and notice the other strut is broken.

Dammit!

I would do a spacer and upper control arms but i threw the old ones.

Does anyone know if the rough country preloaded struts will require upper control arm upgrade on a 2014?

away!d3196bf8bb8eb19e5bf2c730a9cb0a39.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye