DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently went back to the dealer that I had flash the XAC for the BU Cam , for an appointment for the recalls , the service writer remembered me , as we talked I let him know I was going to upgrade my radio soon to the RA4 8.4, He wants me to talk to his SVC Mgr about how I am accomplishing this .
This is the dealership that I've said on here that is a good one , I'm fortunate to have found them and they are more than willing to flash in some more codes for me during my recall appointment.
Next I'll probably be doing the compass and maybe tow mirrors with lights .
Too bad FCA is so Damn restrictive ...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
RLK if they are interested in offering the upgrade in house at the dealership I do supply a couple dealers with harnesses right now ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was actually thinking of that , as I did read that you had a couple of dealers on your customer list .

I've had a couple set backs and had postponed my recall appointment.

If I get the opportunity to speak to the Svc. Manager and he's interested in offering the upgrade for his customers ( with your permission ) I'll give him your cell phone # and email.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
I was actually thinking of that , as I did read that you had a couple of dealers on your customer list .

I've had a couple set backs and had postponed my recall appointment.

If I get the opportunity to speak to the Svc. Manager and he's interested in offering the upgrade for his customers ( with your permission ) I'll give him your cell phone # and email.

Sound good. Thanks

tp0d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Just added steering wheel controls to my '16 3500. Instructions worked great! Thanks for the writeup

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went to the dealer today to make appointment for some recalls. One of which is the wire modification in the steering wheel. So I asked if while they were in there if they would install the audio controls. 3 different people in the parts and service department said it can't be done.
So looks like I will be doing it myself in the near future.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Went to the dealer today to make appointment for some recalls. One of which is the wire modification in the steering wheel. So I asked if while they were in there if they would install the audio controls. 3 different people in the parts and service department said it can't be done.

Your should show this thread to the service dept, parts, and sales managers. It easy enough and costing them money.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Lol ! My dealer said I couldn't upgrade my RA1 , couldn't install a back up cam to my upgraded radio either , said I couldn't install the audio controls or the VR/Phone evic switch and said I couldn't install the mirror with microphones for hands free BT . Lastly they said I couldn't install factory Tow hooks with my painted bumper ...

Well I proved them wrong on all accounts LOL ! Should've seen their faces when I showed up for an oil change & let them see everything installed and working flawlessly ! !

Boy are they gonna be shocked when I roll up with my RA4 8.4 " Radio installed !

Bottom line most dealerships service writers , salesmans, service Mgrs and even some techs know so little about the 4th Gen Rams they sale & service
I have found that most techs with some tenure do know their **** though !

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had the same experience with my dealership. I had a sevice tech tell me that the compass was in the radio on an RA2. I explained that the compass module is actualy in overhead console. He had no idea what I was talking about. My old neighbor is a DodgeTech. He had the RA1 in his truck and was told by his Star support that he could not upgrade his radio to an RA2. When I showed him that I had gone all of the way to an RA4 he was apsolutly blown away. He is a super smart guy and a good mechanic but it's amazing how little they know about these trucks and how little Chrysler seems to tell them. I was nervous when I had to take my truck in for the recall because I have made so many upgrades to it including the Premium cluster. Thry had no problem with it at all. I honestly think they thought it came that way!

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
What I wondering is first anyone get any mouth or problems from the dealerships , because you took it apart previously.

3. And chewing up around the slots of the plastic steering wheel shroud where the airbag tool is inserted. My guess in many of these guys will use a pry bar, screw driver or whatever they have close by instead of using the proper DAB removal tool.

I actually had to have my clock spring replaced after I installed the audio controls. Nobody said anything about it to me.
Also the dealer service tech left the airbag removal tool on my trucks seat when he was done and I had to return it the next day when my wife found it when she sat down next to it. It was the correct tool for the job. Had a item number on it that I looked up at the time and it was an airbag spring release tool when I googled it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

Bottom line most dealerships service writers , salesmans, service Mgrs and even some techs know so little about the 4th Gen Rams they sale & service
I have found that most techs with some tenure do know their **** though !

To be fair, most dealerships are not into doing mods unless they are aftermarket or MOPAR accessory approved with detailed instructions. While simple for me and you to understand, asking a dealership to order OEM parts that where not installed on the vehicle in question when built and back engineer is not an intuitive process for them.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To be fair, most dealerships are not into doing mods unless they are aftermarket or MOPAR accessory approved with detailed instructions. While simple for me and you to understand, asking a dealership to order OEM parts that where not installed on the vehicle in question when built and back engineer is not an intuitive process for them.
You are right sir , I work in a very similar atmosphere just not automotive. This is why it's frustrating because in my line of work we strive to know as much as possible .
Knowing as much as possible does create a lot of training cost and personnel with very spacific skill sets and some personnel are job spacific due to the complexity of the task . Unfortunately this does drive up the overall cost to the consumer in labor hrs .
I suspect if our auto dealers operated on our model the labor rate would be significantly higher $$ , and most consumers would frown on that .

I have found very knowledgeable techs at a couple dealers on mods and such which I feel fortunate for .

RAM 5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, had dealer do kit on my 2014 ram 1500 express regular cab with the following results, info center controls on left of steering wheel stopped working, as did the horn. Ended up removing kit for everything to start working again, not sure if tech did something wrong or what the problem was, said not able to add due to not able to flash code because not a factory option for my truck. Any help would be great. Thanks, emory

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Hello, had dealer do kit on my 2014 ram 1500 express regular cab with the following results, info center controls on left of steering wheel stopped working, as did the horn. Ended up removing kit for everything to start working again, not sure if tech did something wrong or what the problem was, said not able to add due to not able to flash code because not a factory option for my truck. Any help would be great. Thanks, emory

They must have bent a pin in the plug.

RAM 5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, so you added audio control on your 2014 ram 1500 express reg cab ?, dealer tried on mine with no luck, ram 5.7

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Crazy the dealer can't do it but my dad and I knocked it out fairly easily. 2015 5.7 with 5.0 radio. Maybe they didn't use the right wiring harness.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi

I'm betting they either did not plug everything in correctly, made a bad connection, bent a pin or two etc. It is also possible the harness they used was defective. You would be the first one I've heard of who had a problem with a 2013 and up. I did mine myself and it is a 2014 ST that came with an RA1 radio, not even an express.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I also did my 2013 SLT (RA2 radio) myself. No issues. No code flash is required.
The dealer tech needs to go back through it and figure out what is wrong if they were paid to do it.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did mine myself 2014ST works like a champ ! Dealer mechanics are notorious for screwing things up . Could've been a defective harness ?