DIY: Debadging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boatsandhoes1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice video man... made me laugh. "You're prolly lookin' at this sayin' Jesus Christ that takes a long time" haha

verdesardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cdt
I want to debadge my truck but am worried about possible discoloration of paint behind the badges. Do you think this is something i should be worried about?

I debadged my 6yr old truck, it took a couple of washes and some time in this intense Arizona sun but now you can't even see where they were.

Armyman14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I know this is kinda counter productive to the topic of this thread but If I wanted to put them back on, what kinda glue could I use?

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I know this is kinda counter productive to the topic of this thread but If I wanted to put them back on, what kinda glue could I use?

Don't use glue! You'll want to remove the old tape and replace with a high quality automotive double back tape. 3M makes a VERY good one.

It's a TOTAL PITA, but it's doable.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Don't use glue! You'll want to remove the old tape and replace with a high quality automotive double back tape. 3M makes a VERY good one.

It's a TOTAL PITA, but it's doable.

Yep. It's 3M moulding tape. It had a red backing. That stuff will keep your badges on for the life of your truck. Very good stuff.

Armyman14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Gotchya! Trying to get all this stuff that I want for my truck for Christmas so trying to make a list! I'm gonna add 3M double sided adhesive automotive tape?

Senistr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Straight fishing line works well on newer vehicles but the longer it sits on the vehicle, the harder it is to come off. If you have waited more than a year to debadge the vehicle, wear some gloves with the fishing line. Also I HIGHLY recommend getting some auto decal remover as it eats away at the 3M tape or glue and makes the process really easy and you won't have to use a drill. It took me about an hour to do both sides and the tail gate of my truck using decal remover, a shop rag and a flat head and had no marks on the truck =D

Armyman14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
How can I get the ghost prints removed once I take off the emblems? I plan on painting most of them black and putting them back on except for the "sport" edition logo. Because I can't paint that one and it has some silver on it. Any ideas?

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
Been a while since i used my eraser wheel but decided to remove an emblem off my Jeep and man what gem it still is.

Before
8737514004_6c91f37579_b.jpg

After
8736393171_fd9475dd0e_b.jpg

Motorcharge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fwiw you can do this a lot easier with a small clothing steamer. You can pick them up for under $20 at Walmart, Target, ect. Just heat the badges up and slowly pull them off with the steamer aimed under them and the double sided tape should come off completely with the badges. Works awesome on window tint and stickers too. Plus since it's just steam it won't damage the paint or clear coat like a heat gun would.

SFA1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Liter V8
I just took off my bed badges and SLT badges yesterday. It seemed that there was a faint difference in the color of the paint under the badge and on the body of the truck. Anyone experienced this before? And how soon did it go away?

Motorcharge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just took off my bed badges and SLT badges yesterday. It seemed that there was a faint difference in the color of the paint under the badge and on the body of the truck. Anyone experienced this before? And how soon did it go away?

Depends how much difference there is. That always happens when you debadge an older vehicle. The paint under the badges hasn't been exposed to the sun or elements so it hasn't faded. Give it a couple weeks and it won't be as noticeable unless you look for it. A good buff on the clearcoat will help blend it too.

Gfsuperman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any chance anyone has badges for a 2004 dodge ram? Need "ram 1500 for the driver side.. I know this is a debadge, but I figure since some of you guys took them off you might still have them