DIY - Homelink buttons used as AUX switches!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hunter69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Did this mod and works great. I used left over parts of battery tenders, so I did not have to cut the terminals that came with the wireless unit. I am using a light bar mounted to the utility rails in the truck bed and wired to the unit and a battery in an ammo case. Can mount on either side of truck or back. Real easy to recharge the battery with a battery tender. Thanks for the great idea!

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
resurrecting. There's no way to make this work off one button, is there? I have 2 buttons taken up by garage remotes.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
exactly what I'd want. Thanks!

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
resurrecting. There's no way to make this work off one button, is there? I have 2 buttons taken up by garage remotes.

Absolutely!!!!!! 1 homelink for my gate, 2nd homelink for cut in tow hook lights and 3rd for bed and toolbox lights. Used this remote relay switch

Screenshot_20180413-140631.png

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome that you guys are using these! I'm still using my relay in my new truck - but I use all 3 of my homelink buttons so i'm stuck still just using the remote lol. So old school! haha

Heatman13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 longhorn
Engine
do what are you wiring the the transmitter into under the dash?

Heatman13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 longhorn
Engine
what are you wiring the transmitter into?

Plainbroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

Recently took on the task of wanting to have an OEM switchbank in my truck but didn't want to put an aftermarket switch somewhere on my dash. So, I did some research and figured it out. I purchased this - 20 Amp Heavy Duty 12 Volt On/off Wireless Remote Control Switch - Agricultural Equipment - Amazon.com

Once it came in, I got to work.

Here's the module when it arrived - View attachment 358491

I cut the original connections off and used male/female quick connects - View attachment 358492

Pretty straight forward - View attachment 358493

Next it's time to remove the center console. These are the two screws under the little mat just below the AC controls. Just lift up the rubber piece that is there to expose the 2 screws. View attachment 358494

Next pull up the rubber piece down in the center of the console. There was only one screw here and it was a 7mm. (I believe my 2013 truck had 2 or screws here, so it may vary with your truck year). View attachment 358495

With the 2016s, the console part just lifts up. I pulled up from the back then worked my way to the front. It's just held in with retained clips. View attachment 358496

Disconnect the cigarette plug, the white piece just unclips. Then you can set the plastic console part out of the way. View attachment 358497

I decided to just mount the module under the console to keep it well within the range of the homelink buttons. Just testing it here to make sure everything is working so far. View attachment 358498

After everything worked, I secured all the connections and I mounted the module using 3M double sided tape under the dash on just a flat surface close to where your right knee would be when you're driving. View attachment 358499

Then after all that, just plug back in your cigarette outlet, put the plastic console part back on and put all 3 screws back. The remote that comes with the module is pretty much dummy proof. It has an ON and an OFF button. Simply program the ON button to one of the homelink buttons and program the OFF button to another.

Here's the video of it. I had to do the best I could making the video with my phone lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nHPQhgFER4

That's it guys. Make sure you use a fuse at the battery for your power wire for protection should something ever go wrong.

Hope this gives you guys some ideas. PM me if you have any questions or I'll check back on here.
Would this work? It is a 40 amp relay.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Old thread, but has my interest. Want to utilize all (3) Homelink buttons, or at least the space they occupy, for aux lights.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
There are other threads on the subject I've posted on years ago. I included the harness I used that has a built in relay for higher amperage. I use the Homelink buttons for my fuel transfer tank pump and for my rear airbags to inflate/deflate from the cab using electric solenoid valves plumbed into my onboard air tank.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
Absolutely there is. You'll want one that can do self-locking or "latch". Press once for on, once for off. Here are the ones I used

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6VOH9W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought these very same relays/remotes. Programming the Homelink button II for it to turn on/off fog lights but it is very intermittent as to whether it works or not. I can use the included remote and works fine. I looked into the specs on Homelink and this transmitter is at the upper freq range of Homelink. I'm wondering if it's too close and signal is getting cut off??? Did you have any issues with these? I've moved the receiver onto the firewall. Tried using different units (comes with 4) and tried Homelink III switch.