DIY - Truxedo Sentry Review/Latch Mod on 5th Gen Ram 1500 w/Rambox & videos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hi everyone,
After having 2 Bak Revolver Original & x2 covers and 1 Pace Edwards Roll n Lock on previous trucks I was looking for something similar but with a little better side sealing for my 5th Gen DT Rebel with Rambox (CC /5ft 7" bed).

I ended up going with a Tuxedo Sentry Hard Rolling cover, PN: 1584901

There's a few videos going over the details but long story short, I didn't think there where enough latch points along the side rails (3 Total, cab, tailgate & 1 middle) to keep people out of the bed compared to the fully locking sides on the Bak Revolver and Pace Edwards hard rolling covers I've tried previously.

Here's the review and how to videos for adding 2 extra latches per side (5 Total per side).

Add-on Parts:
(4x) 1705926 > Slam Latch ASM_HR
(4x) 1706260 > Cable_Z Pull w/Ball End
(8x) 1706056 > Cable Guide Retainer w/Legs
(4x) 1705929 > End Cap_Latch Cover_Slat_HR
(1x) 1118302 > Bag Hdw_Security Latch Field Repair

Videos:
Truxedo Sentry Review/Latch Mod on 5th Gen 1500 w/Rambox Pt1 (Review & Plan)

Truxedo Sentry Review/Latch Mod on 5th Gen 1500 w/Rambox Pt2

Truxedo Sentry Review/Latch Mod on 5th Gen 1500 w/Rambox Pt3

Truxedo Sentry Review/Latch Mod on 5th Gen 1500 w/Rambox Pt4

Truxedo Sentry Review/Latch Mod on 5th Gen 1500 w/Rambox Pt5

Truxedo Sentry Review/Latch Mod on 5th Gen 1500 w/Rambox Pt6 (Final)

cheers!

Last edited:

jhiggins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I am looking at getting this cover and this answered one of my questions about it if it could be made more secure, so thanks for the detailed explanation. One more question I had about this cover is how much narrower the rails make the bed. What is the dimension between the inside edges of the rails for the cover. Can you still fit a sheet of plywood between them? I prefer hauling sheets with my tailgate up but that means the sheets need to be able to fit between the rails.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I'll go check real quick...

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I am looking at getting this cover and this answered one of my questions about it if it could be made more secure, so thanks for the detailed explanation. One more question I had about this cover is how much narrower the rails make the bed. What is the dimension between the inside edges of the rails for the cover. Can you still fit a sheet of plywood between them? I prefer hauling sheets with my tailgate up but that means the sheets need to be able to fit between the rails.

46.5" to 46.75"
So it's a little narrower but about the same as the accessory rails with factory tie downs on them.

Not sliding 4x8 sheets in there with tailgate up...

Probably same or similar with all aftermarket cover rail mounts on Rambox trucks

jhiggins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Thanks for the quick reply. This forum is the best. I've learned a tremendous amount here and it's because knowledgable people like you are willing to share with the rest of us, so thank you.