Do I have an HVAC issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Over the last year my ability to turn on air recirculation has diminished. I'm not sure what determines whether it's allowed on or not, but whatever determines it has gotten pickier in the last year. Sometimes the only way I can get it to work at all is to go to manual mode vs auto. Now in December, we are experiencing tremendous amounts of rain for days on end. I'm having challenges keeping the windshield defogged. The defrost actually makes it worse, even if I crack windows. Thoughts?

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This wont solve your mechanical or electric issues but for defogging, you're better off using fresh air setting with ac on. Otherwise your recirculating the moist air in the cabin. Bring in fresh air even if it's raining outside and with the AC on, it will work faster to dehumidify.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Over the last year my ability to turn on air recirculation has diminished. I'm not sure what determines whether it's allowed on or not, but whatever determines it has gotten pickier in the last year. Sometimes the only way I can get it to work at all is to go to manual mode vs auto. Now in December, we are experiencing tremendous amounts of rain for days on end. I'm having challenges keeping the windshield defogged. The defrost actually makes it worse, even if I crack windows. Thoughts?
If you pull the glove box out and look up and inside the dash you will see an odd half circular device that looks like an accordion. That gizmo is the recirculation control. It’s connected to a electro mechanical actuator that communicates with the automatic HVAC system. I know this because my daughter was helping me upgrade my dash speakers and she was curious and lifted the accordion looking half circle up and snapped the pivot bushing off. Luckily for me it was repairable by making a small notch in the pivot shaft and lashing it with some fine filament fishing line. Bad news is if the actuator is bad you have to pull the dash partially out to access the back screw unless you are an engineering genius which I am not.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm having challenges keeping the windshield defogged. The defrost actually makes it worse, even if I crack windows. Thoughts?
When you turn the dash defroster on, the HVAC system should automatically turn on the AC(light does not turn on) and the recirculation mode is locked out(always brings in outside air).
As others have mentioned you possibly have an actuator problem. May need to have your AC checked out also.

OP
OP
billyw

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not trying to use recirc now, just wondering if the two issues are related. Good point about the AC turning on. I forgot that little detail. I've actually seen the light turned on previously when using the defroster. Great feedback, and quick too! Thanks!