Do you use anti seize or impact drill on your lug nuts

Anti Seize or Impact Drill on lug nuts?

• I Do you use Anti Seize on Lugs!

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I Do you use an Impact Drill on Lugs!

Votes: 52 35.9%
  • I Do you use BOTH AS & ID on lug nuts!

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • No way I don't use either on my lug nuts!

Votes: 39 26.9%
  • Shops do all my work at the tire and lugs

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • I would use anti seize in salt belt but not needed in my location

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I feel very strongly about my choice

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • I haven't put much thought into this

Votes: 15 10.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i use my impact up to the point where they are barely snug,then i use the torque wrench,and retorque after around 200 kilometers.i hate when tire shops use an impact on my vehicles.they always f up my lugs.one shop even broke my lug socket after i told them NOT to use an impact.now i do my tires myself.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what do you guys do for lugs? Ever since we had a case where a family left a tire shop and a tire came off and killed a kid back in the late 80's, I have tried to do my own work that I can at the tire. A few times I let the shop do this such as when I had them replace an axle, but I rotate my own tires even though it is "free" where I get my tires. I do and have done both without issue to this point, but that doesnt mean this is the smart thing to do. So I am looking for some collective knowledge on this issue. I don't feel strongly about my procedure which is the reason for the poll. Do you folks do either or both or none of this?

Is it dangerous to not use anti sieze in some locations such as salt belt? Have you seen any "official" info that anti seize is ok on lugs, or that it isnt ok.? It appears loctite doesnt spell it out either way from what I have seen, yes they say nuts but not specifically lug nuts.

If you do use anti seize on lug nuts what type?

Discuss...
Anti-seize is a big no-no on lug nuts. It is never recommended and leads to over torquing of everything. There is a general rule of using 10-20 percent less than the required torque when using anti-seize. On a personal note, when a buddy of mine decided to "lube" his boat trailer lugs with anti-seize when he was finished lubing his wheel bearings, some weeks later the lugs loosened, the trailer started to sway, the wheel came off and the hub scraped the ground. Disaster! Had I known what great idea had been done to lube the lugs, I would have shared my advice prior to this nightmare. Luckily, I had my own boat and trailer and did not share in the disaster. Some people just need to know when to pay someone else for work.
As far as an impact gun on the lugs, only for taking off after the lugs have been broken with a breaker bar and only run down softly after being spun on a few threads by hand. Hand torque at the end.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anti-seize is a big no-no on lug nuts. It is never recommended and leads to over torquing of everything. There is a general rule of using 10-20 percent less than the required torque when using anti-seize. On a personal note, when a buddy of mine decided to "lube" his boat trailer lugs with anti-seize when he was finished lubing his wheel bearings, some weeks later the lugs loosened, the trailer started to sway, the wheel came off and the hub scraped the ground. Disaster! Had I known what great idea had been done to lube the lugs, I would have shared my advice prior to this nightmare. Luckily, I had my own boat and trailer and did not share in the disaster. Some people just need to know when to pay someone else for work.
As far as an impact gun on the lugs, only for taking off after the lugs have been broken with a breaker bar and only run down softly after being spun on a few threads by hand. Hand torque at the end.
Always do. Great point

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Question for you then.If anti-seize leads to over-torquing,why did the lug nuts loosen off???
I've been using anti-seize on wheel nuts for as long as i can remember,my dad also used it before me,and we've never had a set of wheel nuts loose torque because of it,and i've probably ran more wheel nuts on and off then alot of guys in the last 50 years.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Many years ago I used a bit of grease on the tire studs and the back of rims, now days I use a bit of spray anti-sieze.
I also use my cordless impact wrench with a torque stick to tighten my wheels on all mu vehicles and trailers. Seeing as how I also run studded snow tires in the winter I am swapping tires and rims twice a year.
Because the studs are lubricated I use the torque stick that is 10-20 ft pounds less then the desired dry torque.
Just finshed yesterday swapping the summer tires back on and the snows off, sprayed the hub face and studs, and the back of the rims.
My current favorite;
1680920396966.png

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question for you then.If anti-seize leads to over-torquing,why did the lug nuts loosen off???
I've been using anti-seize on wheel nuts for as long as i can remember,my dad also used it before me,and we've never had a set of wheel nuts loose torque because of it,and i've probably ran more wheel nuts on and off then alot of guys in the last 50 years.Wh

I've been using anti-seize on wheel nuts for as long as i can remember,my dad also used it before me,and we've never had a set of wheel nuts loose torque because of it,and i've probably ran more wheel nuts on and off then alot of guys in the last 50 years.
The lug nuts probably loosened over a relatively short period of time because I know my friend has no idea what a torque wrench is, so it probably never achieved the proper torque rating. With all the slippery characteristics of the anti-seize, there wasn't enough friction on the threads to hold the torque of the lug nuts. As far as manufacturers go, just look at torquing spark plugs. There is a lower torque specification for wet (using anti-seize) versus dry.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Discount Tire does all my vehicle’s tires. When they remount, I always walk out and watch them use the torque wrench.
I use my electric impacts only to spin-off and to run the lugs snug, after I hand thread the lugs on the studs of course.
I do not use antiseize or loctite on my lug nuts. Just proper torque.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You know I live in snow belt. Tires don't last that long up here, we all run soft AT's, so lug nuts come off every 3 years so so. Never had a stuck one.
I lived in MN for 35 years. Lug nuts came off a lot more often than every 3 years. I rotated them every 5k. But my lugs sure stay a lot more rust free down here in the Ozark Mts.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Discount Tire does all my vehicle’s tires. When they remount, I always walk out and watch them use the torque wrench.
I wouldn't trust them. I watched the guy at Discount Tire torque the wheels on my 22 Ram and still had 10-12 that were below spec when I got home and checked them with my Mac 1/2 torque wrench. First time I've ever had that many below spec.

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't use anti-seize. I was always under the impression the using anti-seize or any other lubricant can throw off the torque numbers. I'll use an impact, and the shop I go to always uses a torque wrench on everything.
It does. You have to reduce torque while using a lubricant on threads. There's charts you can use to go by.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
In areas were salt or calcium is used to melt snow and ice off the roads so idiots can drive like it's summer time in the winter, I have seen rims become so seized on the hubs that it takes extreme measires to remove a rim. From sledge hammers to porta powers, enen to installing lug nits very losely and driving a vehicle making turns trying to loosen the rim.
So use anti sieze to prevent that from happening.

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
I wouldn't trust them. I watched the guy at Discount Tire torque the wheels on my 22 Ram and still had 10-12 that were below spec when I got home and checked them with my Mac 1/2 torque wrench. First time I've ever had that many below spec.
I watched a tech at discount used the wrong size socket on my 11/16 lugnuts on my dart, get the socket stuck after spinning against the cragars chrome and then use a hammer to get it off. I heard the hammer and walked around to see what was up and lost it on the guy. I told them at the start it was 11/16. They replaced all the thin shank lugnuts but wouldn't replace the wheels they fd up.

They'll never touch another of my vehicles.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The lug nuts probably loosened over a relatively short period of time because I know my friend has no idea what a torque wrench is, so it probably never achieved the proper torque rating. With all the slippery characteristics of the anti-seize, there wasn't enough friction on the threads to hold the torque of the lug nuts. As far as manufacturers go, just look at torquing spark plugs. There is a lower torque specification for wet (using anti-seize) versus dry.
So it wasn't actually the anti-seize then at all,it was the fact he hadn't tightened the lug nuts properly, but you decided to blame the anti-seize instead of a properly tightened wheel. Torque wrenches are still a fairly rare tool in alot of peoples tool boxes,most people are lucky if they even have a 4 way wrench,and they're still changing tires on the side of the road,with very few issues.You put the anti-seize on the threads not on the face of the nut or it's cone,and you won't have any issues with a wheel falling off if it's properly torqued.BTW you won't find many mechanics using a torque wrench on plugs,most just run them in till they're tight.Using a torque wrench takes time,and most mechanics aren't wasting that time,going to get their torque wrench,looking up the proper torque/adjusting their torque wrench to the proper torque,then walking back over to the vehicle and going over the plugs with a torque wrench,so i'd lay odds 90% of plugs done in a shop are run in till their tight then called good

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve never put anti seize in my lug nuts and I only use impact to remove them quickly.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The best place for anti seize if you don’t have your tires on and off is on contact surfaces between the hubs (ferrous) and aluminum wheels.It’s a problem ive seen and brings out the electrician side of me.