Does anyone else but me think there are way too many electronics in today's vehicles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
True, my comment was assuming that a person knows both.

Your comment specifically said the person only knows one or the other based on sex. Bolded for emphasis:

Dude: "How far is it to Smallville?"
Dudette: "About 20 miles"
Dude: "OK, and how long does it take?"
Dudete: "I don't know, I've never timed it."

Or...

Dudette: "How far is it to Smallville?"
Dude: "About 15 minutes."
Dudette: "And how many miles is that?"
Dude: "I don't know, I've never measured it because distance is irrelevant. The time it takes is the only important thing."

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Agreed. Growing up my father would order vehicles so that he could still get them with roll-up windows. I think it would be valuable for work trucks to have less distractions and things to break that can't be fixed by local mechanics. I never understood the advantage of the push-button starts for example. but maybe in this case the tail is wagging the dog, marketing deciding what would be cool and having it designed, rather than marketing selling what production designs
I ordered my 2023 with manual windows and door locks. Also, vinyl seats and floor mats. I want a truck, not a moving computer database...which I got anyway.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Your comment specifically said the person only knows one or the other based on sex. Bolded for emphasis:

Or...

Dude: "I don't know, I've never measured it because distance is irrelevant. The time it takes is the only important thing."
I didn't say people don't know it, I said they don't use both. Just because a person says they don't know the time it takes from Point A to Point B doesn't mean that is true. If you drove the route, you know both.

Sluff Track

Reaction score
Ram Year
Looking
Engine
?
And therein lies the rub. There is no need for a computer to run anything related to getting the vehicle from Point A to Point B.

I was thinking along the lines of the engine and transmission control modules, those don't need WIFI, bluetooth or anything else. I do enjoy how easy to start, maintain, and how clean smog wise, my current 1998 vehicle is. I don't want to go so far back that I need to re-jet the carbs or do plugs points and condensors constantly. Heck, even starting on a cold day, there is no need for a choke.

Jim

AnthonyRI

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Henry Ford said, among many things of course, in his autobiography MY LIFE AND WORK

"People in general have so little and it costs so much to buy even the barest necessities (let alone that share of the luxuries to which I think everyone is entitled) because nearly everything that we make is much more complex than it needs to be."

How's that for a car salesman?!

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
correct. too often when someone asks where something is and I tell them, "...it's at the Southeast corner of such & such" they usual react like I'm speaking Latin.

FYI, like that Dodge Diplomat in your driveway. I own an retired former gov unit too, a 99 CV SAP....

View attachment 522723
Hey, good eye on my Diplomat :) Nice CV.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine

Or...

Oh boy, you better come up with an in between dude and dudette if you want to be politically correct and not offend :D

OP
OP
HighDesertRam

HighDesertRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
True, my comment was assuming that a person knows both. If I have driven to Smallville at least once, I therefore I know how many miles it is and how long it takes. From that point forward, if someone asks me how far it is I will tell them the driving time. My point was that I don't know of anyone who does it the other way, other than a lot of women I've met. It doesn't make it wrong, it's just backwards. A woman will tell me, "Oh, it's 20 miles to Dodge City." My response is always, "And how long does it take?" I need to know how long it's going to take me to get there because I need to know when I have to leave.
True. And, have you noticed (I hate to be called sexist) that most women will not allow any extra time for traffic, weather, etc.? I always leave a bit earlier if I have to be someplace at a particular time, or if I am going to someplace I have not been before.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
All I know is that's a lot of dancing bananas in a rainbow of colors

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea, a bunch of colors. Rainbows have been a thing of beauty, since I was a kid. Always will be.

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be careful with that tutti fruiti look, remaining PC these days is near impossible with rainbow adornment. :rolleyes:

Get the point. However... Only if one allows tutti fruti to co-opt, perfectly innocent rainbows. I don't do PC.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
My 2004 Jeep is my favorite ride. 202,000 miles on it. Crank by hand windows. Tops off and 99% of the trips are in it. The Ram gets the long comfy drives.
It still has too many electronics. I miss my old Gremlin with points and a cassette radio.

It was YOU?
You were the one guy, who bought the Gremlin?

Did you also own a Pacer?

Always wondered where that one Gremlin was Sold.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I just don't answer my phone when I'm driving. Matter of fact, I usually put it in either Driving Mode, or Airplane Mode depending on how long I'm going to be behind the wheel. If it's going to be a long drive I silence my ringer so I don't hear phone calls, and I use Driving Mode as it sends an automatic reply to whoever is trying to text me that says, "I'm driving right now. I'll get back to you as soon as I make a stop." Keeps people from repeatedly trying to text me, which I'm not going to reply to anyway while I'm driving.

My phone is a very miniscule part of my life. Pretty much the only reason I even have a cell phone is because I hunt and fish a lot alone and my wife wants me to be able to call for help if I fall and bust a knee, or something. I haven't mentioned to her that half the places I hunt and fish at have minimal, if any, cell reception. I make and receive a total of maybe 2 - 3 phone calls a month, and although I text almost every day I have gone many days with sending or receiving a single one.

Well, I HIGHLY recommend you add this, to your cell phone homepage.
Saved my Life , more than once.
More importantly, saved a few fishing trips.

Easiest way is to google
CONUS Radar Map.

every radar station, in the USA, laid over a Map of the USA. can zoom in and see if those dark clouds are going to pass by or be a diirect hit.
get of the weather much earlier than everyone else
OR
stay fishing because while it looks, close, it will actually pass you by.

Old Fisherman told me about it, years ago, on the water.

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Easiest way is to google
CONUS Radar Map.

every radar station, in the USA, laid over a Map of the USA. can zoom in and see if those dark clouds are going to pass by or be a diirect hit.
OR

Great app. Have used it numerous times, traveling the highways.

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was YOU?
You were the one guy, who bought the Gremlin?

Did you also own a Pacer?

Always wondered where that one Gremlin was Sold.
No pacer. That’d be too embarrassing to drive. Ahh, my beloved Gremlin. They don’t make them that cool anymore. If only AMC made a 2024 model…….

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Easiest way is to google
CONUS Radar Map.

OR

Thank you, I have that. Still need cell reception for it to work, though.