Does MDS actually save fuel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I decided to add all 8 Injector PW PIDs to my Trinity so I could see an approximation of fuel flow. injector PW measures how long the injector is opened for or "fires" for.

When the truck goes into MDS you can see the 4 cylinders shutting down which I was expecting. What I wasn't expecting was the 4 cylinders that are still active to essentially double the fuel output.

How does this save fuel if it just doubles the fuel into the 4 active cylinders?

MDS off
c15a531585198b4e45560faa5e243f02.jpg
MDS on
368e826e2519f6a6845da36dc2db91a0.jpg

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wow! Thanks brother, not that MDS ever comes on in my 6.4! But this is interesting, it tells me the little thing on the dash is a liar too, when the Eco light comes on, your MPG bar goes through the roof. Doesn’t look to be true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
my super unscientific opinion. If I drive for a full tank without using tow haul mode which will let MDS activate.... and then drive another full tank entirely in tow haul mode while MDS cannot activate and my RPMs are running higher my fuel mileage is basically identical.

MDS is garbage. Its a feel good the thing. All it does is make the MPG on the EVIC, and we lnow the evic is not correct with MPG.

JMO

I’m very interested to see what others have experienced or learned with the MDS system

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeap the MDS is just like 5w20 oil, its forced BS on the auto manufacturers by the government to try to get better fuel mileage out of these trucks.

Problem is this crap only works in a perfect world or in there lab and dont do **** in real world every day driving.

Thanks for posting that up.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Wow! Thanks brother, not that MDS ever comes on in my 6.4! But this is interesting, it tells me the little thing on the dash is a liar too, when the Eco light comes on, your MPG bar goes through the roof. Doesn’t look to be true.

What year is yours? My 2016 ( built in sep of 15) the MDS is very active around town but not at all once i am going over 50 mph

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What year is yours? My 2016 ( buolt in sep of 15) the MDS is very active arpund town but not at all once i am going over 50 mph

Reactions: U&A
OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Eco light is somewhat more accurate because when the mpg goes to 99 when you're coasting down a hill all 8 injectors go to 0 so essentially the pcm is cutting fuel completely from the engine. Found that out by using these PIDs.

But that has nothing to do with MDS. It cuts the fuel even when in manual shift or tow/haul mode...

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Eco light is somewhat more accurate because when the mpg goes to 99 when you're coasting down a hill all 8 injectors go to 0 so essentially the pcm is cutting fuel completely from the engine. Found that out by using these PIDs.

But that has nothing to do with MDS. It cuts the fuel even when in manual shift or tow/haul mode...
Wait... These things have an Eco light? Ive had the truck for a year and honestly didn't know that lol. :happy175::driver:

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow that is some good data!! Such BS
I was surprised to see that. One would assume that when it cuts the fuel to the MDS cylinders the fuel flow other 4 stay about the same. I mean thats how to save fuel. But we all know what they say about assuming....

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Next time I go on a long trip I will test with a fill up before and a fill up after to be exact as I can. 55mph on cruise control as much as possibe, and I will do a t/h trip versus a mds trip, so everything would favor the mds trip as the rpm's will be higher in th, and I still wager at best it is equal.

MDS Japanese tech even if it isn't, huh? inside joke

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Next time I go on a long trip I will test with a fill up before and a fill up after to be exact as I can. 55mph on cruise control as much as possibe, and I will do a t/h trip versus a mds trip, so everything would favor the mds trip as the rpm's will be higher in th, and I still wager at best it is equal.

MDS Japanese tech even if it isn't, huh? inside joke

Definitely interested in this. I tried to do this about a year ago but I could never get the tanks to be comparable. I'd have to do a lot of city driving for one and highway for the other. Plus the temp and humidity change almost daily here so thats a factor as well.

As soon as I pass the MA inspection in May I'm tuning MDS out again.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah MA inspections are RIDICULOUS. Don't even get me started on this. The inspection stations have cameras for the inspector to take pictures of various things. Need I say more.