Double the trouble (new guy)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jreuscher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone, new guy here with a couple of questions.

2013 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Reg-cab

1st: Lately when I try to start my Ram all I hear is a clicking noise. But after a several times (5-8) it turns over. And occasionally it will start right up on the 1st try. Dealership ok'd the battery about a month ago during change and inspection. Could this be a starter or ignition problem??

2nd: One of my key FOB stop working. It will lock/unlock doors but will not turn the ignition on. I believe at one time I got the FOB wet so I assume it is bad. What is the cheapest way of getting a new and Re- sync?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to RamForum.

1. Sounds like a bad ground or greasy or corroded connection.

2. Not sure what's cheapest. I've never had to do anything with any of my fobs except change batteries. Have you tried that yet?

dstryr

The one and only
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
#1) Its your starter. You'll try to start it one day soon and the solenoid will not kick even if you turn the key 100 times. If you do get stranded you might have to crawl under the truck and rap the starter/solenoid while someone turns the key. Replace the starter asap, imho.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I agree - starter, have had that experience on other cars. Brushes are shot. You used to be able to take the starter apart and replace them, but I don't know if that is possible anymore.

I bet your remote start will work fine when the new starter is in. Don't bother with that until you solve the first problem.

OP
OP
Jreuscher

Jreuscher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to RamForum.

2. Not sure what's cheapest. I've never had to do anything with any of my fobs except change batteries. Have you tried that yet?

I'll try that out when I get home from work. Thanks !

OP
OP
Jreuscher

Jreuscher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What did the dealership do to OK the battery?

Unless they load tested it and that is listed on your invoice whatever else they did to OK it was worthless.

If your battery is original then my money is on that.

They really didnt say. I went in for my oil change and they did a multi-point inspection. Invoice states Under Battery performance it says: Battery /terminals & Check conditions or battery (storage capacity test if applicable) both check off in green .. But I remember they guy telling me the battery is show it's good.

OP
OP
Jreuscher

Jreuscher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
#1) Its your starter. You'll try to start it one day soon and the solenoid will not kick even if you turn the key 100 times. If you do get stranded you might have to crawl under the truck and rap the starter/solenoid while someone turns the key. Replace the starter asap, imho.

I was thinking that as well. I'm dropping it off at the dealership tomorrow. I'll follow up on what they say.

Natec003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Hello everyone, new guy here with a couple of questions.

2013 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Reg-cab

1st: Lately when I try to start my Ram all I hear is a clicking noise. But after a several times (5-8) it turns over. And occasionally it will start right up on the 1st try. Dealership ok'd the battery about a month ago during change and inspection. Could this be a starter or ignition problem??

2nd: One of my key FOB stop working. It will lock/unlock doors but will not turn the ignition on. I believe at one time I got the FOB wet so I assume it is bad. What is the cheapest way of getting a new and Re- sync?
Not much help on the first one... As far as the key fob goes I ordered this one for mine. It looks like it's out of stock now, but I believe it was about $20. Had the dealership program the key. They charged another $50 for that. Because it was "aftermarket" they couldn't guarantee that it would program correctly, but had no problems at all. It was definitely cheaper than purchasing the OEM fob. Make sure if you order one you pay attention whether it's for remote start/no remote start or if you have a push button start you need a different model. Hope this helps 13ed4176027a58e84ee66c54f45340fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jreuscher

Jreuscher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not much help on the first one... As far as the key fob goes I ordered this one for mine. It looks like it's out of stock now, but I believe it was about $20. Had the dealership program the key. They charged another $50 for that. Because it was "aftermarket" they couldn't guarantee that it would program correctly, but had no problems at all. It was definitely cheaper than purchasing the OEM fob. Make sure if you order one you pay attention whether it's for remote start/no remote start or if you have a push button start you need a different model. Hope this helps 13ed4176027a58e84ee66c54f45340fe.jpg

I may try that rout first. Thanks Natec003 !!

OP
OP
Jreuscher

Jreuscher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I got my Truck back yesterday and to my surprise the dealership diagnosed the problem to my Key FOB failing. My second went bad and about 6 weeks ago and I failed to recognized similarities.

On a better note, it was covered by my extended warranty I purchased with the vehicle. And even more good news they set me up with two new key FOB's.

Thank you everyone for the assistance. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting, intermittent starter issues, clicking, and they say FOB. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. IMHO, (1) Get battery checked somewhere properly. // 5 years on stock battery not bad // (2) Best keep an eye on that starter, when they go weird, they go weird, they will short, pull-drain battery, etc. Just IMHO.........

But at least they gave U *(2) new programmed FOBS, OEM, and them suckers expensive also.

OP
OP
Jreuscher

Jreuscher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting, intermittent starter issues, clicking, and they say FOB. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. IMHO, (1) Get battery checked somewhere properly. // 5 years on stock battery not bad // (2) Best keep an eye on that starter, when they go weird, they go weird, they will short, pull-drain battery, etc. Just IMHO.........

But at least they gave U *(2) new programmed FOBS, OEM, and them suckers expensive also.

Yea I agree. I had the battery check this morning from local Advance Auto store as well and they said it was still good. However, at 5 years I think it's time to replace it anyway.

Jeff Daugherty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have to go to the dealership to get it programmed?