Drive shafts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodgebullet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2002 ram 1500 2wd V6 5 speed manual short box. I recently removed the box and painted the frame. I also removed and painted the driveshaft . I don't recall which end of the driveshaft goes toward the tranny. Approximately 6 inches of one end of the driveshaft is a smaller diameter. Does anyone have knowledge as to which end of this particular driveshaft goes where. The u joints for both ends are the same.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm not seeing anything like what you describe on google. Have a picture?

OP
OP
D

dodgebullet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pictures of a driveshaft from 02 ram 1500 2wd. One end is smaller diameter/circumference. Which end goes towards tranny?

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
From similar-ish ones I would guess that the tapered end goes towards the tranny but I can't find your exact one so IDK for sure.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From similar-ish ones I would guess that the tapered end goes towards the tranny but I can't find your exact one so IDK for sure.
OP< what did U do with the front shaft that goes into trans? I cannot find a pic to help and on replacement picture ones all I see is straight shaft no narrowing, or narrowing on both ends, grrrr. I am guessing U just have the one shaft and no intermediates since U have 2 WD.

OP: is this a Quad Cab, CC, or RCSB truck???

OK, here is a PIC of a 97 Dodge 1500 extended 2 WD truck from underneath, and the "tapered/skinny" end shown mounted on truck to the REAR. All I cound find !!!!!

ds.JPG

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2002 ram 1500 2wd V6 5 speed manual short box. I recently removed the box and painted the frame. I also removed and painted the driveshaft . I don't recall which end of the driveshaft goes toward the tranny. Approximately 6 inches of one end of the driveshaft is a smaller diameter. Does anyone have knowledge as to which end of this particular driveshaft goes where. The u joints for both ends are the same.
SEE POST #7 !!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
D

dodgebullet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The driveshaft is from a 2wd regular cab short box. U joints for either end are the same. I may have to find a similar truck in a salvage yard that still has the driveshaft on it in order to solve my issue. So far no difinitive Information.

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is hiding under all of that tape? Is there a bolt flange on one end and a partially installed universal on the other?

Ideally, and just good overall practice, is to make some sort of "witness mark" so that you can even get the bolt flange back onto the rear axle the same way it came off (it can be reinstalled two ways)

Now in all real reality, if you still need to reassemble the driveshaft transmission output yoke and bolt flange onto the U-joints, and unless you can see a reason like a clearance issue, I would put the taper end aft like turkeybird56 shows...
After all, it is really, only an independantly balanced length of pipe.

OP
OP
D

dodgebullet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm pretty well convinced the end that has the narrow diameter goes toward the rear end. I viewed several u tube videos of u joint change outs on similar years/models and saw driveshafts with the smaller end toward the differential. The blue tape is keeping the u joint caps from falling off until I get around to installing the shaft.