Driveline vibration.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troopah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2016 2500 cclb. Vibration starts at 60 mph. Felt in the floorboards the most. Gets really bad the faster I go 75 mph feels like truck is going to explode. I've replaced the complete rear differential 2x's. New drive shaft. Went with a 1 piece all aluminum shaft first. No difference. Built a new 2 piece shaft, both from a driveline shop. No change. Put in a 3rd rear differential because the driveline shop said that was the problem. Still no change. I just pulled the T-Case out and tore it down. Found a few noisy bearings and a clicking planetary gear. Here's the kicker.
If it's 50 degrees or below,the Vibration is very noticeable,in the afternoon 75 degrees ,Vibration is almost gone. Right I know crazy. I am a repair facility and this is my own truck. I am out of ideas. Oh and I bought a reman transmission from go powertrain 30 k ago. Any ideas?

bigdodge

Reaction score
That almost sounds like tires. Cooler weather they are less pliable and more likely that you would feel like a busted radial. Just an idea. I have a similar issue but my driveshaft got in to my cross member and grooved it. It's thrown a couple weights since then so pretty sure I need a new shaft

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like mentioned above I didnt see you mention anything about tires that would be the first thing to check.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Like mentioned above I didnt see you mention anything about tires that would be the first thing to check.
Some people seem to like throwing $$$ at a problem before checking the the easiest things first. :insane:

OP
OP
Troopah

Troopah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Definitely not the tires. They are new and have been road force balanced. I even put a different set on to be sure. The vibration gets worse with rpm along with the speed. Almost like it's coming from the engine,like it spit a converter weight?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Troopah

Troopah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As I stated,it's been to a reputable driveline shop and to 2 different ram dealerships. I've replaced the parts that I've been told by other professionals to change. I am tired of throwing money at this thing.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The tough part is you're dealing with rotational mass, so everything needs to be balanced.

Some things to check:
- tires are always 1st, you say they're good but are you sure you didn't chuck a weight? Possible you have one out of round as well - balancing won't make a difference if they aren't round
- wheel bearings
- I presume the differential bearings were replaced when the diff was replaced.
- Driveshaft U-joints/carrier bearing (very common cause of speed/rpm related vibrations, and 'new' doesn't always fix it if a needle bearing was crushed during install)
- Check driveshaft balance (again, could have chucked a weight)
- transmission/t-case output shaft bearing (check for play, could cause a nasty vibration)
- front driveshaft u-joints/internal spline (saw this cause a vibration once, on an old Suburban. Even in 2wd with the front hubs unlocked, there was enough friction in the system to cause one end to turn while the other stayed stationary, leading to a loud grinding/vibration under the floorboard)
- converter weights (possible to have chucked one, should be able to tell by pulling the inspection cover and seeing if one is laying in the bottom of the bell housing)

Really just need to spend some time under the truck inspecting things.

OP
OP
Troopah

Troopah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the information, I've done everything on your list but check converter weights. I did put a new/reman transmission in it. The engine does seem to have a nasty vibe around 4,000rpm rolling down the road at 65 mph I can feel a slight vibration in my feet,pedals, and when I ease into the throttle it vibrates so bad it shakes the whole truck. Let off,it goes away.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks for the information, I've done everything on your list but check converter weights. I did put a new/reman transmission in it. The engine does seem to have a nasty vibe around 4,000rpm rolling down the road at 65 mph I can feel a slight vibration in my feet,pedals, and when I ease into the throttle it vibrates so bad it shakes the whole truck. Let off,it goes away.
How are you running 4k rpm at 65 mph? My old Wagon only ran about 2200 RPM at 65, if that, with stock size tires, whether I was towing or not. If you're running at 4k RPM at 65 mph then you've got other problems. Like you're missing your top two gears in the transmission.

It sounds to me like you've either got a grenaded transmission, OR you aren't making full power in the engine so the truck is downshifting to try to keep you at the speed you want...in which case you have engine problems. If the engine has a nasty vibration at 4k RPM, are you sure you haven't wiped out your cam with bad lifters (something the 6.4 has an issue with)?

You definitely have bigger issues than it sounds like.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
You need a shop that has vibration measurement instruments and knows how to use them. Not easy to find. But firing the parts cannon at everything possible gets expensive.

If it’s a converter weight it will be felt stationary parked at the problem RPM.