Dropped valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kraftei

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just pulled onto my street (2016 Ram), maybe doing 10 klicks, suddenly the truck bogged out and stalled. Got it to restart (barely) and limped it home. Long story short, ran like sht and throwing tons of codes. After of a day of trying to diagnose, gave up and had it towed to the shop. Thought maybe the computer bit the dust.

Turns out: the tip of the valve broke off and then the valve did a little dance on the piston until it bent over. No idea why, possibly a defective valve? The engine was stock (never opened) other then the blower. Needed a new head as the seat was badly damaged, the head shop recommended replacing the head as there was risk of a new seat falling out. Turned out the head was cheap. That was all that was cheap. The piston was ok, just cleaned it up. Since it was apart I upgraded to these parts.

• Comp Cams Stage 2 HRT
  • Competition Valve Job
  • Phaser Lock Out kit
  • MDS Block Off Plugs
  • PSI Spring Kit
  • Non MDS Lifters
Dyno'd out at 479 rwhp with a conservative tune. Changed the oil 2x and all is well. Has a serious lump in the idle now, sounds like a old muscle car ! I don't launch it hard as I don't want to break anything but on the highway it is seriously fast !

IMG_3665.jpgIMG_2788.jpgIMG_2777.jpgIMG_2774.jpgIMG_2787.jpg

OP
OP
Kraftei

Kraftei

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I recall there were 5 or 6, one had something to do with communication to the ecu. I removed the tune thinking maybe it had crashed, put the stock one back on and then put the tune back on. I was chasing the codes but apparently there is no code for a dropped valve ;o)