Dumbest question ever.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerry Livingood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel

When I'm pulling my fifth-wheel and need fuel usually I have to go to the truck pumps with the large nozzles. When I put the nozzle in as far as it will go and pull the trigger it pumps for about 3-4 seconds and then shuts off. When I pull the nozzle out 1/4 to 1/2 inch to relieve the back pressure then the fuel spews out of the hole. What's the trick to not smelling like diesel fuel or making the trucker behind me mad? Thanks.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Does it happen at stations that have diesel pumps for cars & pick-ups? If not then it could the high volume pumps for Semi's pumps to much fuel for your tank to vent properly or you may have a second flap further in that need to be opened an the big nozzle can't reach it to open, I have used the high volume semi pumps on my 2006 but then it had an opening that allowed you to put the big nozzle into the filler neck but had to be sure to fill it slower then I would if at a car pump...

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Use the pumps out front for the RV’s at the chain truck stops.
Yes, high flow pumps will overload your venting/fill capacity unless you use 1/4-1/2 flow. They are meant to fill 150g tanks in the time it takes to fill your tank.

Always learning something new here…. and I don’t even have a diesel Ram :33:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel

When I'm pulling my fifth-wheel and need fuel usually I have to go to the truck pumps with the large nozzles. When I put the nozzle in as far as it will go and pull the trigger it pumps for about 3-4 seconds and then shuts off. When I pull the nozzle out 1/4 to 1/2 inch to relieve the back pressure then the fuel spews out of the hole. What's the trick to not smelling like diesel fuel or making the trucker behind me mad? Thanks.
Imho, that’s not a dumb question!

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel

First WELCOME to the group. Many here hauling TT. And we also have a Diesel forum !for more help if needed.
As the old saying goes only dumb if not asked :) Now me I have asked many dumb questions lol

Last edited:

Scott06HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The high speed pumps at the truck stops pump upwards of 33 gallons per minute give or take a few gpm (I know because I used to work for a trucking company that had fuel pumps on the property). With that much fuel spewing out into the filler neck, I would think the splash back is hitting the vent and shutting off. 33 gpm is in an almost perfect situation and is usually not the flow rate but even at 2/3 efficiency 22 gpm is a LOT.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
On cross country road trips even without the 5vr I still use the big rig pumps. Most work if you're careful and take it really slow, and then some are just a pain in the ****. No matter what you do they spit at you and/or keep clicking off.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
:) Now me I have asked many dumb questions lol
Yes, he has. and every one was hilarious.

Sorry, too good an opportunity, to let it slip by.

OP{ (Short for Original Poster)
Welcome to the Forum!

As stated, there are no dumb questions.
Just darn funny ones, which we love too.

Top right hand corner, of each page, you will a SEARCH Function.
it is a tremendous time saver and helps a ton.

Not many new questions, like yours, get asked, anymore.
Most of it has alreaady been covered, bunches.

So, again, yours was new, unique and enjoyed reading it and the replies.

Welcome and glue your wallet shut.
Take your name off your checking account
and cancell all your credit cards.

these will help you spend all of your money,
for stuff you never knew, you could not live without.

It;s called Modding.
Easy to become a Mod-aholic.
There is no known Cure