Dyno run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The correction is STD with a smoothing of 5.
QUOTE]
Very nice numbers for being on 37's sir. Sounds like the dyno operator did the correction factor to accomodate for the 37's.

I don't know much about dynos so I'm not sure what all that smoothing of 5 stuff means lol. I assume that there was no correction for the oversized tires because I asked him when we were done how much he thought the tires robbed me and he replied that he has seen guys swap oversized tires and make 60 more horse to the wheels. I would think that would have been his opportunity to inform me of any corrections made for oversized tires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the 387 run is 5th gear? The truck down shifted in your video at around 16 seconds which is why the TQ jumped so high.

The 387 run is in 5th gear, which I do not have a video of. He ran it before I knew he was going again. The video from the passenger side is the first run in 4th and the video from the driver side is the 6th or 7th I believe, which wouldn't read. Could on get numbers on the first two runs. That second run at 387, you could really hear and feel that is was a bigger run and it was definitely one of the better runs. I was bummed I couldn't get any other runs to spit numbers, but it sure was fun listening to that beast get angry so many times. Like I said, the videos do not do it any sort of justice lol.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know much about dynos so I'm not sure what all that smoothing of 5 stuff means lol. I assume that there was no correction for the oversized tires because I asked him when we were done how much he thought the tires robbed me and he replied that he has seen guys swap oversized tires and make 60 more hours to the wheels. I would think that would have been his opportunity to inform me of any corrections made for oversized tires.

Who cares, you still made damn good numbers! Haha. Hell my bone stock except for magnaflow exhaust 5.7 with 3:92 gears wont even spin my 37's!!!

Last edited:

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Smoothing is just for visual effect on the graph. The higher the smoothing factor (0-5 on a DynoJet), the less data points that are plotted. So it makes a smoother looking curve. Without smoothing there will be lots of spikes and have a rougher looking curve. You should ask the operator for your data files from the pulls. You can download the WinPep program for free from DynoJet and view your pulls whenever you want.

wink

Edit: Here's a link to the download page...

http://www.dynojet.com/Downloads/downloads.aspx?dc=Software/Firmware

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Is it just me or do these numbers sound off for just bolt ons on 37s?

If they are right that's awesome that means you are pushing over 500 hp at the crank and 600 ft lbs

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice!

Most dyno operators use 1:1 because it removes the tranny gearing from the calculations. Usually not a huge difference doing pulls in a lower gear, but will usually show higher numbers. However weather variations can have a big affect regardless of ratio. As can heat soak. Hell, the numbers will usually change from pull to pull due to the later. Dynos are cool for two things. (1) Bragging rights. (2) Tuning and comparing component swaps. But neither directly translates to track times. The dyno is an artificial environment. But it's still cool to have some numbers. Most operators also use SAE correction so numbers are comparable to pulls done in different locations. Altitude, for example, makes a huge difference.

For those without a dyno handy, and/or that've been to the track. You can get a somewhat representative number from your weight and 1/4 mile trap speed. Many drag racers rely on this calculation alone, but it's ballpark. There are plenty of calculators for this on the web. Or you can use mine if you like.

http://www.mcvw.com/mcvw/calcs.php

wink

Yeah, I was kind of hoping to get another pull in 5th and one in 6th. He ran the second run pretty quick and I was wondering if there was any heat soak. Temp was 95 but humidity was oddly low for the area. I was watching the temps after that and it did seem to cool back down to 188-192 pretty quick.
Who cares, you still made damn good numbers! Haha
I hear ya man, it's fun to have good bragging numbers, but I really would like something accurate as well. I've been teetering on getting a Whipple with the goal of getting this big boy in the 12's in a quarter mile. If these numbers are accurate, I think it's a good shot. I'd hate to throw the money down just to come up short of my goal, even though the fun factor would still be there.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

If they are right that's awesome that means you are pushing over 500 hp at the crank and 600 ft lbs
My buddy is probably going to go back once he gets the revisions on his tune worked out. If I can work it into my schedule, I may go with him again and do some pulls without the custom tune. I'm really curious and thinking the custom tune is the biggest gain.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Well then Shaun needs to redo my tune if your numbers are legit lol

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I posted my dyno sheet and mods on page 4

Im Very impressed with your #s on 37s. Congrats

Only real difference is I have 3.21 gears and 305/45/22s. I'm also a 4x4

Ported throttle body
1 7/8 arh headers
Ported throttle body
Vararam
180 ttstat
E fan/ clutch fan delete
Hf tuned
3.21 years
305/45/22s

Screenshot_20180511-223454_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I posted my dyno sheet and mods on page 4

Im Very impressed with your #s on 37s. Congrats

Only real difference is I have 3.21 gears and 305/45/22s

Ported throttle body
1 7/8 arh headers
Ported throttle body
Vararam
180 ttstat
E fan
Hf tuned
3.21 years
305/45/22s

View attachment 128092
Ah, I also have clutch fan delete, ATI super damper & underdrive pulley, catless headers, and was running @ 600ft elevation

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I was just north of Seattle 20' above sea level.my clutch fan is deleted as well hence the efan

Anyways it doesnt matter congrats on the #s. I'm sure it's fun to drive

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

They are awesome numbers but I’m just wondering if being in 5th gear messed with the them a bit. On the 8 speed 6th gear is the 1:1, I would think that 5th gear might read higher since it’s a 1.29 ratio. Might explain why the two graphs are much different between the runs, it seems like he’s saying each run was in a different gear

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They are awesome numbers but I’m just wondering if being in 5th gear messed with the them a bit. On the 8 speed 6th gear is the 1:1, I would think that 5th gear might read higher since it’s a 1.29 ratio. Might explain why the two graphs are much different between the runs, it seems like he’s saying each run was in a different gear

I Bleed Ram Trucks
Yup, that's what I was wondering too. He kept saying he was pretty sure 1:1 was 5th gear, but I looked it up and it's 6th. So I don't know if that gets factored in front corrections or what. Hoping someone can chime in with some math wizardy if necessary lol.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was just north of Seattle 20' above sea level.my clutch fan is deleted as well hence the efan

Anyways it doesnt matter congrats on the #s. I'm sure it's fun to drive

Well hmmmm... How much do your 22's weigh along with the rubber? I know my rubber is 82lbs and I can look up the wheels. Do you know what gear yours was ran in? I'd be curious to nail down some theories on differences. Granted dynos run different and the two trucks with the same mods may have slight variations. Out of curiosity, have you done any 0-60 pulls with your Trinity for an additional comparison?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Wow just the tires weigh 82lbs?? My 33’s weigh 77lbs, that’s tire and rims. That’s crazy

I Bleed Ram Trucks

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Agreed. To be safe, I would like to see the truck dynoed in 6 th gear. And from what i have heard, I am sure JWithing will have it done.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I'm happy the nay sayers can put to rest their arguement about these modifications not making a lot more power.

Between Tuner and long tubes it's the most bang for the buck for bolt-ons.

I'm looking forward to hitting 100k on the clock. Planning on those new edlebrock heads along with a street cam. Plenty of info out there showing 80+ whp on this combo mod. My excuse is "Babe it's to difficult to change the spark plugs in the engine bay. Easier to take them off :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NorcalRamGuy