E break cable sag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone elses 4th gen 1500s have the cable sag? How do we fix this? It's sagging significantly, looks like garbage under the truck. I haven't tested if it still actually operates the break.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A big sag is usually a sign that the E-brakes are starting to seize up. Take the rear discs off clean them up.

Jbp19classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is something they all do. Some of us are just more **** than others to notice it I think. The e brake cable is a long heavy cable with very little support where it runs down the side of the frame. I’ve noticed that sagging cable for years on other Rams before I ever owned one, and always wondered if it was something wrong or somewhat normal. The day I bought mine brand new, I looked underneath and sure enough I could see that damn cable hanging down. Anyway, I used a few heavy duty zip ties and ran them through some holes in the frame and around the cable in a few spots to give it more support than just the one or two factory brackets. They’re not pulled very tight, and don’t effect the function of the parking brake at all. It works perfect to keep the cable up closer to the frame and out of sight.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If it's a really bad sag, check where the parking brake cable attaches towards the rear backing plates. A co-worker of mine had this happen on his 2016 Ram 1500 and there was something cracked/broken at one (or both?) rear backing plates. Luckily he has an extended warranty with it. The dealer replaced a bunch of rear brake hardware to the tune of over $1000 per the write up.

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mine did the same thing. The parking brake lever that goes through the backing plate is seized up.

Jbp19classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I should add that my zip tie fix is only to add support to prevent what I would call “normal” sag on a functional parking brake. If it’s hanging way down than it likely needs repair as well.

v10enomous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just noticed the sagging cable on my 2014 yesterday... The emergency brake seems to work fine. I recently got a new boat and I started trailering in and out of saltwater and I have been using the truck on the beach on weekends for a couple of years now...

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When applying the ebrake does your foot almost go to the floor? If so its too loose. The tension can be adjusted, couple of open end wrenches (cant remember the size) hold one nut tighten the other.

v10enomous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When applying the ebrake does your foot almost go to the floor? If so its too loose. The tension can be adjusted, couple of open end wrenches (cant remember the size) hold one nut tighten the other.

It does go pretty low. I've been jamming it down pretty hard on the boat ramp when I have to get out of the truck. I'm hoping it's just an adjustment... I hate to bring the truck back to Dodge because my last two experiences were horror stories if you look at some of my previous posts... Hopefully it's not the $1,000 repair mentioned above...

v10enomous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I finally fixed this the other day. The problem was the levers going into the backing plate seized up because the only time I use the parking brake is on the boat ramp in saltwater. I watched this video and used WD-40 anti-seize spray and then hit each lever with a hammer back and forth a couple dozen times while the the brake was disengaged. Then I hit each side with a little spray white lithium grease and then engaged and disengaged the parking brake a couple dozen times until both sides freed up and the sag was gone along with the rattling noise it was making at speeds over 35mph.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I use my E brake every day, mostly on level ground
I use it on a hill when i go to my dealership, their driveway is about a 30 degree angle uphill & everyone parks on it while waiting on a Service Advisor to tell you to pull up near the door.
I am not sure, but i think using it each day may keep everything moving

qDvbzlVn9aox4WPwBXDL7IPKUfTai7U_6SNwScUKg&usqp=CAU.jpg

Last edited:

v10enomous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use my E brake every day, mostly on level ground
I use it on a hill when i go to my dealership, their driveway is about a 30 degree angle uphill & everyone parks on it while waiting on a Service Advisor to tell you to pull up near the door.
I am not sure, but i think using it each day may keep everything moving

View attachment 480367
Exactly !

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Using the P-brake every day or very often does help, but the metal on metal design of the shoe actuators and the way they're exposed to the elements is still going to rust on salt belt 4th gen Ram 1500s.

I know since I posted a few years ago in this thread I've since traded my 2017 Ram 1500 for a 2019 classic. When I bought the 2019 used in July 2020, one of the first things I did was pull the rear rotors and slather some marine grade never seize on the P-brake cams and actuator levers. This 2019 was barely a year old w/ 15K miles on it and the P-brake mechanisms were incredibly rusty and already starting to seize.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio