Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

E break cable sag

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by mpicc84, Sep 2, 2019.

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet
  1. mpicc84

mpicc84 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Anyone elses 4th gen 1500s have the cable sag? How do we fix this? It's sagging significantly, looks like garbage under the truck. I haven't tested if it still actually operates the break.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    A big sag is usually a sign that the E-brakes are starting to seize up. Take the rear discs off clean them up.

mpicc84 likes this.
  3. Jbp19classic

Jbp19classic Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    This is something they all do. Some of us are just more anal than others to notice it I think. The e brake cable is a long heavy cable with very little support where it runs down the side of the frame. I’ve noticed that sagging cable for years on other Rams before I ever owned one, and always wondered if it was something wrong or somewhat normal. The day I bought mine brand new, I looked underneath and sure enough I could see that damn cable hanging down. Anyway, I used a few heavy duty zip ties and ran them through some holes in the frame and around the cable in a few spots to give it more support than just the one or two factory brackets. They’re not pulled very tight, and don’t effect the function of the parking brake at all. It works perfect to keep the cable up closer to the frame and out of sight.

madtrucker2016, MidwestJ and mpicc84 like this.
  4. PoMansRam

PoMansRam Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Pentastar 3.6
    If it's a really bad sag, check where the parking brake cable attaches towards the rear backing plates. A co-worker of mine had this happen on his 2016 Ram 1500 and there was something cracked/broken at one (or both?) rear backing plates. Luckily he has an extended warranty with it. The dealer replaced a bunch of rear brake hardware to the tune of over $1000 per the write up.

madtrucker2016 and DarthMegaHD like this.
  5. smithwessn

smithwessn Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Mine did the same thing. The parking brake lever that goes through the backing plate is seized up.

mpicc84 likes this.
  6. Jbp19classic

Jbp19classic Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I should add that my zip tie fix is only to add support to prevent what I would call “normal” sag on a functional parking brake. If it’s hanging way down than it likely needs repair as well.

MidwestJ likes this.
  7. MidwestJ

MidwestJ Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Zip ties or cable/ring clamps

8. v10enomous

v10enomous Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I just noticed the sagging cable on my 2014 yesterday... The emergency brake seems to work fine. I recently got a new boat and I started trailering in and out of saltwater and I have been using the truck on the beach on weekends for a couple of years now...

9. 18ram18

18ram18 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    When applying the ebrake does your foot almost go to the floor? If so its too loose. The tension can be adjusted, couple of open end wrenches (cant remember the size) hold one nut tighten the other.

10. v10enomous

v10enomous Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7

It does go pretty low. I've been jamming it down pretty hard on the boat ramp when I have to get out of the truck. I'm hoping it's just an adjustment... I hate to bring the truck back to Dodge because my last two experiences were horror stories if you look at some of my previous posts... Hopefully it's not the $1,000 repair mentioned above...