Eco diesel delete??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bkorthals2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Interested in deleting my 16 eco diesel? Anyone have one? Worth the money? Is it a total nightmare to do? What is the best way to do it yourself? Are there any significant extended warranties on issues that would cause me to want to wait to do it?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you do either a EGR or full emissions delete any remaining AEM warranty will be gone, it covers pretty much everything that handles air, fuel or exhaust for 4yrs/40K miles from when the update done.
The EPA has cracked down on all the stateside tuners, you'll need to look north of the boarder to HD Diesel Supply.
Avoid Reckless and SFT for tuning, lots of reports of problems with tunes and lack of customer support.
You can stay legit as Green Diesel Engineering make an EPA compliant tune(49 state legal due to CARB not following the rules). It's a vast improvement over the stock tune, but the truck needs to already have the AEM update (there's usually sticker under the hood).

JEFF MANN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ECODIESEL
I've got an SFT tune & trans rally tune have no problems with it & can recommend it.

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have an OEM ECU for sale if you want an extra. Makes swapping before going to the dealer much easier.

sirdumpsalot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
A lot of folks will be hesitant to talk about it or give advice on the forums since they are scared of getting in trouble

WayneB63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you do a delete you will need custom programing to drive the truck, stage 1 deletes the EGR and does some other mods to timing and fuel delivery, stage 2 delete requires removal of DPF and def systems to function and has more changes to the programing.
I have stage 1 on mine and it is a SFT tune, I have heard that recently some people have complained about some recent changes the company has made, don't know about the changes, but my tune is good. Its a totally different truck with it, and this is the second truck I have used SFT for. NO THROTTLE LAG!! way faster gain in speed, mileage stays about the same for me cause its just so much fun to get on it all the time. My tuner has a trans tune that alters shift points as well..lotsa fun.
I plan on doing stage two in the near future to see if the changes are as good as they say, but don't have first hand knowledge of it at this time.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ OH NO ^^^ U talking about working around EPA and CARB in the US, and whateva is the Canadian equivalent. I do not know enuf about Canada rules, the only other country I can talk for is Germany, and U would not wanna get caught working around emissions there, the penalty make U cry in yer Beer. All above IMHO..... only...

WayneB63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealers cant and wont touch anything to do with deleting any emission components, unless of course its for off-road/racing use only ;)

Alli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just get GDE. I just took the money from the law suit and bought the tune. It is easy to do and my truck is a hundred times better now. I love knowing every time it goes into regen mode. I think the stock tune only tells you every 5th time or something like that. So can't imagine that was to good on the truck if you quit driving it in the middle of a regen. Then you just re-tune it back if you have to take to dealer. I just keep the console in my truck if I ever need it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I think the stock tune only tells you every 5th time or something like that.
If you see a warning/notification on the dash about regeneration on the stock tune there is problem. The factory tune doesn't notify you just because it's in regen.
You something like an Edge CTS or the Torque app to see when the truck is in a regen.