EcoDiesel Block Heater Add

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redbob

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 & 2016
Engine
3.0L
Is the block heater already installed on my 2023 as it was on my 2016, or can it be added readily?
My 2023 won't start at all at Temps below 20F!

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Pray that you have one because it’s probably apita to install one if you have a pw the plug will be close to the winch plug on the bumper. Look around the engine compartment for a plug that will be it.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the block heater already installed on my 2023 as it was on my 2016, or can it be added readily?

I think it may only be included in the Cold Weather package, a standard option for trucks sold in Canada but not too likely in your area unless you added the option.

Do you have heated seats & steering wheel? You would think it would be a no-brainer to include on a diesel.

My '21 Classic has a short cord at the front passenger side that is just barely long enough to reach the edge of the hood, just behind the grill. That AC cord must be made of Gold because 10" more and I could have routed out through the opening in the bumper. :cool:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
ON the gas engines, it was sort of hidden behind the oil filter, if i remember right.

The end of the block heater cord, is usually under the hood, almost behind the Right Headlights

Most of the Block Heater Cords are made by Kats

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Sadly there have been a few reports that the Gen3 EcoD engine didn't automatically have the block heater installed on all the engines.
The easiest way to find the EcoD block heater is look through the passenger wheel well just behind the alternator and right above one of the motor mounts. If it's there the heater is usually brass in color and will have a rubber plug(probably orange) covering the connector.
If your truck isn't starting when below 20°F, there possibly a problem with the engine. Have had many people able to get them to start at -20°F and colder without a block heater. It might be the fuel gelling which a block heater won't be much help. Ask the local fuel stations if the diesel is treated for cold weather. Don't use anything but a diesel fuel additive that's made to prevent gelling.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
And if it uses def and that freezes you are in for apita
oh really?
The DEF system has heaters on the lines and in the tank along with programming that compensates for the DEF freezing when excessively cold.
DEF slush point is 12°F

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Oh really **** to the mechanics in northern Alberta that have to deal with machinery in limp mode because the engine started when it was cold but the def system was frozen and doesn’t thaw out at-30c

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Def is apita in cold weather I run heavy equipment in Alberta and if you don’t plug your equipment in at -10 or lower you are taking your chances. People can disagree all you want I don’t care I know what is what. Def and cold weather don’t work

Fuelie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The block heater on a eco diesel is easy peasy to install. I just installed a Mopar one on mine and it took 2 hours taking it easy. If I had to do it again I could do it in a hour.
If you buy a Mopar heater get the cord also, It fits tighter that aftermarket plugs plus has connectors on it to attach it to the factory cabling.
I found a procedure on a Jeep forum, I will try and find it for you.
Tom