ECU?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you change the mileage in the PCM with HP Tuners?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks, out of all that you can change how isn't the mileage one of them.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That wouldn't really help, what you need to be able to do is adjust the mileage in the PCM to match the odometer. Not the odometer to match the PCM.
You used to be able to do this on older models using the DRB2 and DRB3 scan tools.

I mean you could do what you suggest, but tampering with mileage on the odometer is a big no no.
And in states like mine with an annual inspection, the mileage is recorded.

I was thinking if you recorded the original milege when you swapped the ecm,then all you'd need to do is reset the odometer milege to the same milege it showed when you swapped the units.Not really right,but FCA doesn't really play fair either and will use any means possible to deny a warrenty claim .I just threw the idea out there,as i'm sure a few guys must have considered it by now,lol

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The big problem is if you get caught, unless you would correct it again before trading or selling the truck.
Odometer tampering is a big federal no no.
Where if you could change the PCM mileage to match the odometer you wouldn't be crossing that line.
You still are committing a fraud on FCA though.

I get where you are going though. They really should have to prove that the mod caused the failure - not you prove that it didn't - which is hard to do either way.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would agree changing the odometer is a big no no.
But changing the mileage in the PCM is not as it is only in the PCM and doesn't affect the actual dash odometer.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would agree changing the odometer is a big no no.
But changing the mileage in the PCM is not as it is only in the PCM and doesn't affect the actual dash odometer.

I would probably agree as the ODO is the one buyers see when purchasing a vehicle. Carfax has a line that says Odometer reading, not PCM mileage.

With that being said, the powers that be always have their little rules, so always consult your fine print of legal avenues on weather or not this illegal, check your local jurisdiction, make sure nanny big brother is ok with it before proceding.

Screwing the buyer is probably what their worried about not the dealer.:dancingpoop:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't see how changing the PCM mileage could be illegal, what if your PCM died and you got a replacement from the boneyard?
It is only recently that Ram (at least) has made this option not possible with all of their interfacing.
Wasn't that long ago, you could go to the boneyard get a PCM and plug and go.

50BMG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have a friend in my car club who bought a brand new 2017/2018 (I think?) F-150 that had the turbo'd V6 Ecoboost engine in it. After break-in, he had the ECU flashed for more performance, for use especially when he would haul is Cobra in the trailer. I think he did this himself with a remote programmer (put in the performance program and the programmer stores the factory program to allow the change to be reversed).

On the way back to MI. from a car event in the western US, he was trying to keep up with others in the Cobra **** who were hauling similar trailers but with trucks more equipped for the task that had V-8's and diesel engines. Well, he blew his engine. Lucky for him we was able to deprogram his ECU before the truck went back to the dealer for the blown motor.
Ford/the dealer replaced the motor under the factory warranty.
Not only that, but after multiple re-visits to the dealer to get the engine swap "right" he was still not satisfied with what they did and he ended up getting a whole new F-150 vehicle out of FoMoCo.

Was this ethical? Well hell no of course.

The point?
I'm not sure what kind of ECU programming you guys are talking about in this thread (all the mileage talk has me confused now), but evidently, so long as you get the original program back into the vehicle, it must be pretty hard if not nearly impossible for the dealer to tell anything otherwise. Again, that was a Ford, but from a reply about, Ford's are supposedly tougher to get away with things like this???

YMMV

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddo