ECU?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miklo84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If I were to buy an Aftermarket ECU and install it to be able to tune my truck, but need to take the truck to the dealership for service and repair, could they tell I had an aftermarket ECU if I installed the stock ECU before going to the dealership?

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Yes n yes.
You'd need to swap them out before taking in for any service other than an oil change and tire rotation

Blue Mule

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe from what i've heard, yes. I believe it has to do with the odometer in the cluster keeping up with the mileage as well as the ECU separately. If you do this, they will be forever different. Some one else may know for sure.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes n yes.
You'd need to swap them out before taking in for any service other than an oil change and tire rotation

Blue Mule

I believe he was asking if they would know if he did what you suggested and pulled a swaparoo.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
My misunderstanding. That would depend upon what the truck repairs were. If its anything electrical then yes they could see the data log. If it's just a general repair that didn't require them to look at the logs then no it wouldn't touched.
Is the truck still under mfg warranty??
How friendly are the techs at your dealership?? Some are strictly by the book others are human and enjoy the same things we do... modding n hot rodding.
I have made several good friends in the dealership I get service from. Be surprised what buying lunch for a tech can get you.
Blue Mule

OP
OP
Miklo84

Miklo84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok, I have just seen the ECU swaps for the different tuners available these day, and didn’t know if that was why you would want to put that on your truck, or just tune the ecu that was there when I bought it. If that’s the case then a new ECU may not be necessary. I heard of a dealership close to my home that offers a chip, that can be tuned, that doesn’t leave a print, and doesn’t tune my ECU, but I am kind of skeptical about it. Say it won’t void any warranties, because it has nothing to do with the ecu.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, I have just seen the ECU swaps for the different tuners available these day, and didn’t know if that was why you would want to put that on your truck, or just tune the ecu that was there when I bought it. If that’s the case then a new ECU may not be necessary. I heard of a dealership close to my home that offers a chip, that can be tuned, that doesn’t leave a print, and doesn’t tune my ECU, but I am kind of skeptical about it. Say it won’t void any warranties, because it has nothing to do with the ecu.

I believe you want another ecu because i believe they locked them in 15 and newer. 14 and before you can just program. Correct?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I believe from what i've heard, yes. I believe it has to do with the odometer in the cluster keeping up with the mileage as well as the ECU separately. If you do this, they will be forever different. Some one else may know for sure.

Now that brings up the question on whether you could adjust the odometer in the cluster to match,using AlpaOBD.I've sort of wondered if that might be a work around ever since the guys started using AlphaOBD to reset the milege and hours in the upgraded cluster swap that a lot of guys do in the lower trim line of trucks

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now that brings up the question on whether you could adjust the odometer in the cluster to match,using AlpaOBD.I've sort of wondered if that might be a work around ever since the guys started using AlphaOBD to reset the milege and hours in the upgraded cluster swap that a lot of guys do in the lower trim line of trucks

Very good question indeed! Have to see if one of them have "fooled" the dealer yet.

Would a pulsar be a good fit for this guy you think?

Is it a "middleman" tuner basically?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Very good question indeed! Have to see if one of them have "fooled" the dealer yet.

Would a pulsar be a good fit for this guy you think?

Is it a "middleman" tuner basically?

I have no experience with a Pulsar tuned truck,so i'm not really in any position to comment on them.The guys that do have them and don't want a tune,seem to be happy with them.Hopefully some of the guys with one on their locked trucks will chime in.

OP
OP
Miklo84

Miklo84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dang, my ecu is locked? Did know thy was a thing, sorry, I’m new to the performance side, I used to just like looking nice, but now I wanna look good and go fast! Lol! But at the same time don’t wanna blow my engine, or warranty. If it still exists after this discussion.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dang, my ecu is locked? Did know thy was a thing, sorry, I’m new to the performance side, I used to just like looking nice, but now I wanna look good and go fast! Lol! But at the same time don’t wanna blow my engine, or warranty. If it still exists after this discussion.

Just noticed your truck, that is nice looking! Yes ecm locked, either have to order an unlocked one, or if what i'm reading on the pulsar website, its a stand in, plugs piggyback on your ecu and makes changes on the fly, not clear if it leaves a tattle tale code that rats you out at the dealer though.

Believe it also works on a locked ecu, thats the cool thing.
Might go to the pulsar thread, ( think there may be one) see if they can help you with any questions.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Pulsar will not leave a footprint and can be removed by simply unplugging it. The downside of a Pulsar is that the tuning is limited and it does not have all the functions of say a Diablo tuner, and therefore your truck will not perform as well as the Diablo tuned truck. My advice is if you buy an ECU and a Diablo tuner and install it on your truck be prepared to pay for any engine or drivetrain damage that can be attributable to the tuner. Instead of trying to figure out a workaround to try to hide the fact you have a tuner just plan on the possibility of having to pay for any damage the tuner(or you)cause---as you can tell I'm kinda big on personal integrity and responsibility. Don't mean to preach, this is just my .02.
Jay

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The Pulsar will not leave a footprint and can be removed by simply unplugging it. The downside of a Pulsar is that the tuning is limited and it does not have all the functions of say a Diablo tuner, and therefore your truck will not perform as well as the Diablo tuned truck. My advice is if you buy an ECU and a Diablo tuner and install it on your truck be prepared to pay for any engine or drivetrain damage that can be attributable to the tuner. Instead of trying to figure out a workaround to try to hide the fact you have a tuner just plan on the possibility of having to pay for any damage the tuner(or you)cause---as you can tell I'm kinda big on personal integrity and responsibility. Don't mean to preach, this is just my .02.
Jay

It'd be another story if it was a 2 way street Jay,and FCA didn't look for every work around to deny a legit warrenty claim.It's good to have integrity,but you're playing with an opponent who has no integrity and will use every means available to deny a warrenty claim.That's my .02 lol

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rick--I don't disagree with anything you said--LOL
Jay

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

That wouldn't really help, what you need to be able to do is adjust the mileage in the PCM to match the odometer. Not the odometer to match the PCM.
You used to be able to do this on older models using the DRB2 and DRB3 scan tools.

I mean you could do what you suggest, but tampering with mileage on the odometer is a big no no.
And in states like mine with an annual inspection, the mileage is recorded.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've gone back and forth between the stock pcm and an unlocked one for dealer visits and milage has stayed the same. I believe its stored in the cluster.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is stored in several places, the PCM is one of them.
So if they actually checked the PCM mileage, it will differ from the odometer, hence alerting them that something isn't quite right.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never bothered to remove my tune granted i've never had to submit a warranty claim for catastrophic repair either. I don't hold any tuner responsible for damage but myself and i'll know if i phacked something up in there..., so like some have said, If you want to play be ready to pay. Should be a golden rule among enthusiast.

Regarding the specifics of whether or not the dealer can tell, this is an interesting post from challengerforumz for reference though this was back in 2016

https://www.chargerforumz.com/threads/hptuners-and-the-warranty.178586/

"Dodge currently has no way to tell if the PCM has been modified if it is in the stock OEM configuration. Ford has the capability to determine that the car has been flashed with something other than a Ford tool. The Chrysler Starscan can not. Chrysler and GM are working on getting that capability but it will take a long time before it happens I am told. That is the reason they keep encrypting the PCM each year the way they do. You can get a custom tune for the mustangs about a month after they hit the market because the encryption in not like Chrysler.

If you use the HP software, are you doing the tuning yourself? If you get a tune at a shop that specializes in HP how do you restore the tune back to stock when you do not have a handheld like Diablo or SCT. Big problem IMO if you need warranty work asap but have to wait to get to the shop that did the HP tune to get it restored to stock."

I can't say what to believe, but in the cases where i've had a Mopar something after 2015, i've always used a 2nd PCM mostly cause i don't want to have the downtime of sending the stock one to HPtuners in my case for unlocking.

I'm a firm believer that if FCA wanted, they could find out if you did something in the tune. Again not something they'll be looking for if you took your truck for an oil change, blown shocks, not working wipers or broken manifold struts etc. But if you brought up your truck cinched up in a flat bed truck with a hole in cyl#3 or a grenaded trans/diff then that might look a little suspicious :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn