Edge CTS2 mpg reading different from dash display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mario netto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Maybe someone can explain why the mpg readings are different. My CTS2 shows consistently higher readings than the dash display. At cruising speed the current mpg readings differ by at least 5-10 mpg, but under load or acceleration they are just about equal.
My average mpg on my dash hovers around 16.5-18 mpg mixed hwy/street driving. I've confirmed these numbers at the pump and they are within mpg.
I calibrated the speedo to my 35" tires using Alpha obd and verified with gps to be right on. The speed on the cts2 matches the dash exactly.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have no idea why it would do that. Maybe the Edge doesn't use the Ram module to calculate the "moment in time" aka Current Fuel Economy Gauge MPG. Or it could be a time lag between the Edge reading the data from the truck then displaying it.

The Current Fuel Economy Gauge number doesn't mean much, IMHO. It's just a measurement of MPG at that moment and will vary widely as you accelerate, slow down, travel at a steady speed, climb a hill, etc....

For me, the real number is the Average Fuel Economy Value MPG measured calculating miles driven divided by gallons used.

So how does your Ram's Average Fuel Economy Value MPG calculation compared to the Edge Average MPG calculation?

One other comparison to do is take the Ram average & the Edge average against your calcuation using miles driven divided by gallons used.

OP
OP
mario netto

mario netto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I have no idea why it would do that. Maybe the Edge doesn't use the Ram module to calculate the "moment in time" aka Current Fuel Economy Gauge MPG. Or it could be a time lag between the Edge reading the data from the truck then displaying it.

The Current Fuel Economy Gauge number doesn't mean much, IMHO. It's just a measurement of MPG at that moment and will vary widely as you accelerate, slow down, travel at a steady speed, climb a hill, etc....

For me, the real number is the Average Fuel Economy Value MPG measured calculating miles driven divided by gallons used.

So how does your Ram's Average Fuel Economy Value MPG calculation compared to the Edge Average MPG calculation?

One other comparison to do is take the Ram average & the Edge average against your calcuation using miles driven divided by gallons used.

Thanks for the reply
The edge shows much higher (unrealistic) mpg average of 28-32mpg... I wish

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Something is wrong then. It should not be that different.