Edge Pulsar installed….finally

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, it’s in. Been sitting on it since before Christmas but finally got some time today for the install, which was pretty straightforward.

First impressions. First and foremost, I love that everything integrates with the factory buttons on the steering wheel and info appears in the gauge cluster. Almost makes it seem like it could’ve come that way. I also like the ability to adjust tire size and axle ratio seamlessly through the steering wheel controls. Again, makes it feel factory.

I have it set to level 8, which is Performance mode with MDS off. I’ve read somewhere on this forum that MDS off really was smoke and mirrors with this product and it wasn’t really off. It’s off. Actually, what the unit does which is pretty neat is when you shift into drive the unit quickly does what I used to do manually to shut off the MDS which is mess with the gear buttons on the steering wheel. It automatically selects it for me and puts it at 8 gears so I don’t have to mess with it anymore, which it turn will not allow the MDS to engage. The ECO light will still come on, but not the MDS, the two are not connected.

I also have a PC which was set to Sport +. That was impossible to leave at that setting with the Pulsar, truck almost ran out from under me like an angry horse when I first got on the throttle. I dialed it back to City +4 which I’ve read from two other posts that guys running both have settled there and they are happy with that setting. I concur. Feels great there.

Truck is very snappy, more so than usual, and it does seem to pull a little harder. I can definitely believe the added horsepower claims, but I can’t confirm 30hp at the wheels nor do I care to put it on a dyno.

Lastly, driving around town today I honestly picked up a half a mile per gallon. That’s no BS, it’s just what my EVIC is telling me. Let’s see where that goes as I drive it some more.

So overall pretty happy with the purchase. I’m mean, I’m not going to go TRX hunting anytime soon, but it compliments the Moes 87mmTB, aFe CAI, and cat back set up just fine for me without the stress and expense of a second unlocked PCM. Is it a custom tune, no it’s not, but I can also remove it before going to the dealer and no one would be none the wiser.

And thanks to Nick at GotExhaust for all of his knowledge about the product, dealing with all my questions as I was very apprehensive, and being honest and fair with the price.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great to hear you got it installed and are happy with it. It is a great unit for the money. ENJOY!

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Well, it’s in. Been sitting on it since before Christmas but finally got some time today for the install, which was pretty straightforward.

First impressions. First and foremost, I love that everything integrates with the factory buttons on the steering wheel and info appears in the gauge cluster. Almost makes it seem like it could’ve come that way. I also like the ability to adjust tire size and axle ratio seamlessly through the steering wheel controls. Again, makes it feel factory.

I have it set to level 8, which is Performance mode with MDS off. I’ve read somewhere on this forum that MDS off really was smoke and mirrors with this product and it wasn’t really off. It’s off. Actually, what the unit does which is pretty neat is when you shift into drive the unit quickly does what I used to do manually to shut off the MDS which is mess with the gear buttons on the steering wheel. It automatically selects it for me and puts it at 8 gears so I don’t have to mess with it anymore, which it turn will not allow the MDS to engage. The ECO light will still come on, but not the MDS, the two are not connected.

I also have a PC which was set to Sport +. That was impossible to leave at that setting with the Pulsar, truck almost ran out from under me like an angry horse when I first got on the throttle. I dialed it back to City +4 which I’ve read from two other posts that guys running both have settled there and they are happy with that setting. I concur. Feels great there.

Truck is very snappy, more so than usual, and it does seem to pull a little harder. I can definitely believe the added horsepower claims, but I can’t confirm 30hp at the wheels nor do I care to put it on a dyno.

Lastly, driving around town today I honestly picked up a half a mile per gallon. That’s no BS, it’s just what my EVIC is telling me. Let’s see where that goes as I drive it some more.

So overall pretty happy with the purchase. I’m mean, I’m not going to go TRX hunting anytime soon, but it compliments the Moes 87mmTB, aFe CAI, and cat back set up just fine for me without the stress and expense of a second unlocked PCM. Is it a custom tune, no it’s not, but I can also remove it before going to the dealer and no one would be none the wiser.

And thanks to Nick at GotExhaust for all of his knowledge about the product, dealing with all my questions as I was very apprehensive, and being honest and fair with the price.
excellent write up!

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Great to hear you got it installed and are happy with it. It is a great unit for the money. ENJOY!
Nick, I was watching a video that edge will allow custom programming though the module? For like boost and such. Have you heard anything about that?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Congrats. I like mine a lot. I toggle between deadheading economy and tow. MDS on for deadhead, MDS off for tow. The tow mode really opens up the fueling.

Note of caution - I think Pulsar says to buy high octane (pump grade) for performance tune mode. Guessing they set ignition timing way up, so pay attention, otherwise you might detonate and wreck your pistons.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nick, I was watching a video that edge will allow custom programming though the module? For like boost and such. Have you heard anything about that?
Hi, I messaged you back. Nothing yet as far as custom tuning. I think Covid really slowed down new development

OP
OP
Hookedup87

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I’ve been running higher grade fuel and so far so good. I filled it with 93 octane right before install. Now I let it go down to half then fill it with 89. Then back to half and fill it up with 93 again. That averages out at 91 which is what they recommend. Straight 91 is tough to find around here so that’s why I’ve been doing the half and half thing.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Congrats. I like mine a lot. I toggle between deadheading economy and tow. MDS on for deadhead, MDS off for tow. The tow mode really opens up the fueling.

Note of caution - I think Pulsar says to buy high octane (pump grade) for performance tune mode. Guessing they set ignition timing way up, so pay attention, otherwise you might detonate and wreck your pistons.

Thinking of grabbing one. Can you expand on the "tow mode" and the fueling? Does it make the mixture richer?

Also curious if "high octane" is considered 89 or 91.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Follow up question: I've read conflicting reports, does this allow us to bump up the idle RPMs as well?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Thinking of grabbing one. Can you expand on the "tow mode" and the fueling? Does it make the mixture richer?

Also curious if "high octane" is considered 89 or 91.

wow - thought a guy as experienced as you would go with the more modern HP Tuner.

Anyway, I don't have diagnostics add-ons so I can't state what the AFR is actually doing. My butt dyno is tuned to a lifetime of vehicles and drivetrain work, so the tow mode feels like it has a richer AFR because it is extremely noticeable when towing if you switch it off and on.

The only mode of the four requiring high octane is performance mode, I believe min. is 91 but forget because I never use it. Not interested in racing a heavy duty pickup truck.

There are four tunes: Stock (not really a tune), Economy (lean), Tow (rich), Performance (non-EPA opened up)
You can leave MDS on or off for each, so they claim 8 tunes, but it's really just four.

Based on your and others experiences, I deadhead on Economy tune with MDS on to lubricate the lifters better in stop n' go traffic. I tow with Tow tune with MDS off to prevent MDS toggling, and also transmission set to 4th gear max. 5th & 6th gear are overdrives on 66RFE transmission, which we know is marginal, esp. in OD clutches.

Yes, I know the gear combinations invoke the OD clutch in some gears, but not both and also no lugging in 5th & 6th before kickdown. Got to baby the RFE transmission. If you got a ZF, no worries.

Mileage towing is 9-10 mpg. Dead head is 15-16 mpg, both on AT tires. Add 1.5 mpg for highway tires. I'm going back to highway tires since I don't backcountry truck much now.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
wow - thought a guy as experienced as you would go with the more modern HP Tuner.

Anyway, I don't have diagnostics add-ons so I can't state what the AFR is actually doing. My butt dyno is tuned to a lifetime of vehicles and drivetrain work, so the tow mode feels like it has a richer AFR because it is extremely noticeable when towing if you switch it off and on.

The only mode of the four requiring high octane is performance mode, I believe min. is 91 but forget because I never use it. Not interested in racing a heavy duty pickup truck.

There are four tunes: Stock (not really a tune), Economy (lean), Tow (rich), Performance (non-EPA opened up)
You can leave MDS on or off for each, so they claim 8 tunes, but it's really just four.

Based on your and others experiences, I deadhead on Economy tune with MDS on to lubricate the lifters better in stop n' go traffic. I tow with Tow tune with MDS off to prevent MDS toggling, and also transmission set to 4th gear max. 5th & 6th gear are overdrives on 66RFE transmission, which we know is marginal, esp. in OD clutches.

Yes, I know the gear combinations invoke the OD clutch in some gears, but not both and also no lugging in 5th & 6th before kickdown. Got to baby the RFE transmission. If you got a ZF, no worries.

Mileage towing is 9-10 mpg. Dead head is 15-16 mpg, both on AT tires. Add 1.5 mpg for highway tires. I'm going back to highway tires since I don't backcountry truck much now.

I've wanted to go with HP for a few years now but still under warranty at this point and the pulsar should be a little safer all things considered. Main things I'm looking to do is bump up idle RPM and reduce ping while towing, I'm hoping the tow mode would do that if its running richer.

When funds free up I do hope to get it properly tuned. Different cam, MDS delete etc, and then it will be done professionally as I don't trust myself to do it. But for now, the pulsar might just check the boxes for the things I want "immediately".

Do you find the pedal more sensitive with the towing tune? Hope not, my pet peeve is a twitchy pedal, I'm one of the few people who apparently like the stock pedal feel. I have a banks pedal monster rotting on my shelf, tried it and pulled it out after a week as I couldn't stand it.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I've wanted to go with HP for a few years now but still under warranty at this point and the pulsar should be a little safer all things considered. Main things I'm looking to do is bump up idle RPM and reduce ping while towing, I'm hoping the tow mode would do that if its running richer.

When funds free up I do hope to get it properly tuned. Different cam, MDS delete etc, and then it will be done professionally as I don't trust myself to do it. But for now, the pulsar might just check the boxes for the things I want "immediately".

Do you find the pedal more sensitive with the towing tune? Hope not, my pet peeve is a twitchy pedal, I'm one of the few people who apparently like the stock pedal feel. I have a banks pedal monster rotting on my shelf, tried it and pulled it out after a week as I couldn't stand it.

Ah - Pulsar doesnt have idle adjustment, at least when I bought 4 yrs ago.
Yes, pedal is jumpy on tow and performance modes, but only when deadheading. Pedal feels like driving stock in tow mode when towing heavy. Tow tune is perfect in my and my 2 boys assessments.

I got Pulsar for jumping back and forth between tow and economy modes, and MDS off and on. But it doesnt bump idle rpm to normal 750 rpm, unfortunately.
But with a custom one-point tuner, you can't jump around between tunes.

I have a custom tune on my Harley cause I only ride in a single mode, unlike using a truck.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ah - Pulsar doesnt have idle adjustment, at least when I bought 4 yrs ago.
Yes, pedal is jumpy on tow and performance modes, but only when deadheading. Pedal feels like driving stock in tow mode when towing heavy. Tow tune is perfect in my and my 2 boys assessments.

I got Pulsar for jumping back and forth between tow and economy modes, and MDS off and on. But it doesnt bump idle rpm to normal 750 rpm, unfortunately.
But with a custom one-point tuner, you can't jump around between tunes.

I have a custom tune on my Harley cause I only ride in a single mode, unlike using a truck.

Interesting. Hmm.

This page seems to suggest that idle rpm is supported for my specific truck anyway? Taken directly from the product page:

NNVRVsr.png

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
One of the reasons i never bought a street bike,i knew it'd either kill me or put me in crowbar hotel,as i grew up on motocross bikes,and they had 2 positions to the throttle "idle" and "wide open",there was no in between :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
One of the reasons i never bought a street bike,i knew it'd either kill me or put me in crowbar hotel,as i grew up on motocross bikes,and they had 2 positions to the throttle "idle" and "wide open",there was no in between :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh:

So you wait until you're old enough to back off some. I crashed my 1st bike, btw.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Interesting. Hmm.

This page seems to suggest that idle rpm is supported for my specific truck anyway? Taken directly from the product page:

View attachment 535601

Gaddammit! lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So you wait until you're old enough to back off some. I crashed my 1st bike, btw.
Whens that happen,lol.I have a cousin who's 72 and he still hits the nitrous button on his Katana,it's the only street bike that ever scared me,lol.I blame it on our last name,it's hard to live up to :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Whens that happen,lol.I have a cousin who's 72 and he still hits the nitrous button on his Katana,it's the only street bike that ever scared me,lol.I blame it on our last name,it's hard to live up to :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh:

And so, it's a good thing I couldn't afford the Honda Magna when it 1st came out. They almost amputated my left foot from just crashing the Shadow Model.

Now I just cruise a big, fat, noisy, rattling Harley. Good 'nuff.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
They wouldn't take any of my used parts anyway.

Maybe the few patches of skin that don't have zippers on it.