Electric brake trailer pin has constant power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed Brickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L 24v
2001 2500 5.9l 24v. Trailer plug receiver at rear of truck. Using a factory 7 blade tester. Two issues; 1) electric trailer brake pin has constant power, test light with voltage reader shows 3.5v 2) no power at 12v trailer power pin.
No pins show power when trailer brake ccontroller is engaged.
Tail/marker, stop and blinkers, back up all function correctly.
Chrysler factory plug and connections. I was told that I cannot use a 7 blade tester because dodge used a different pin configuration than industry standard and I may have to rewire pins either on trailer or truck.
Is this correct?

OP
OP
E

Ed Brickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L 24v
I'll come back on in the evening to check for responses.
Thank you in advance.

OP
OP
E

Ed Brickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L 24v
The article you linked is for a 1500 not a 2500. The 2500 diesels came with a round 7 blade RV style.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I doubt Dodge wired a trailer plug anything different than an industry standard.
7pintrailer.jpg
This is how it she be wired, if not I would change it so it is
As for brake pin showing voltage, you usually need to put a load on the circuit for them to read correctly.

OP
OP
E

Ed Brickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L 24v
Hi Crash68, I have owned, driven and towed close to a dozen trucks and trailers over the last 40 years. My 2018 3500 was factory matching Bargman. Recently came into possession of the 2001 Gen2 2500, I went to my local shop and borrowed his 7 blade Bargman style tester, when I told him about the issue he told me that dodge wired a few years different than Bargman. That is why I posed the question. If this is the case then I will make an adapter from the Chrysler to Bargman. If this is not the case then I need to begin chasing wires under the truck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If this is not the case then I need to begin chasing wires under the truck.
If you need to chance wires, these maybe the wiring colors:
http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=13205
You can find that and other plug descriptions here: http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm

They may not have confirmed to standard wiring colors but not wiring the plug the same seems a bit of a stretch. You could also ask a dealership to print off the wiring diagram of the plug/wiring.
A buddy had an '04 and don't remember anything different about the trailer connection, he still has one of the same utility trailers that he towed behind that truck.

Matt Bell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my 01 2500 used and it has a 6 pin plug wired in. I put a brake controller in and switched to a 7. If I remember right all the wiring colors were correct, but I double checked everything before hooking it up anyway.