Electric Trailer Jack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thumpernator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Just purchased a 14' enclosed trailer and it has a manual hand-crank jack on the tongue. I'm already tired of cranking that thing. Anyone here use an electric jack that is powered by the 7-pin trailer connector on the truck? If so, any problems? Guess I'm nervous about it blowing the fuse that supplies the 12v Aux Power to the trailer plug.

TIA

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The +12V in the 7 pin iis fused for at least 30 amps.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Just purchased a 14' enclosed trailer and it has a manual hand-crank jack on the tongue. I'm already tired of cranking that thing. Anyone here use an electric jack that is powered by the 7-pin trailer connector on the truck? If so, any problems? Guess I'm nervous about it blowing the fuse that supplies the 12v Aux Power to the trailer plug.

TIA
pick a jack, check amps required, verify the wire being used to connect trailer jack to the truck can handle the amperage required by the jack, place in-line fuse by the jack. good to go.

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My dad put one on his 24’ travel trailer, works great so far and definitely makes hitching up a lot easier, especially with sway bars having to go up and down twice. Just recommend keeping a bucket or bag over the jack to keep it out of the elements.2CE2B15E-5ED0-430E-BD38-66A5CB520995.jpeg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
eTrailer sells these Electric Trailer Jacks

some product review company

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
My only advice is to THINK when you install the power jack. Make sure you can open your tailgate. On my TT the jack is too close BUT I was able to rotate the jack head 90 degrees so now I have clearance to open it.
It was a 20 minute job to rotate the head.

OP
OP
T

Thumpernator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My only advice is to THINK when you install the power jack. Make sure you can open your tailgate. On my TT the jack is too close BUT I was able to rotate the jack head 90 degrees so now I have clearance to open it.
May not be able to lower the tailgate no matter which direction the motor is pointing since the tailgate hits the crank on the one that's installed now. But I'll keep this in mind. Thanks.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yep, I ran into that when I put an electric jack on my trailer. Even though I was able to get it so the tailgate would clear, I just did not like how close it was. I returned it and put the hand crank back on. Hand crank is a lot faster too.

zrock

Reaction score
Trailer jacks usually run off the battery on the trailer and the battery gets charges by the veh. Only issue you will have is you will not be able to adjust without your truck hooked up so if the thing sinks into the ground or something else changes you are going to have to connect the power from the truck and adjust then back under..

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Trailer jacks usually run off the battery on the trailer and the battery gets charges by the veh. Only issue you will have is you will not be able to adjust without your truck hooked up so if the thing sinks into the ground or something else changes you are going to have to connect the power from the truck and adjust then back under..
That would only be needed if the battery on the trailer is dead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357