Engine block draw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fivesense

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I think I've got a GFI problem as my engine block heater trips any 15 amp outlet I try. It just started happening recently after a couple years of plugging in. I don't have anything new plugged into the outlet. It has been getting into the high teens.

I had a shop test the cord and element and everything was fine at the shop on two separate outlets.

Am I correct the block heater is drawing around 6.5 amps? I'm planning to switch the 15 amp GFI to a 20 amp GFI.

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just out of curiosity how old is your gfci outlet?
They do wear out and get weak with age as they are an active outlet all the time when they are set.

OP
OP
Fivesense

Fivesense

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Just out of curiosity how old is your gfci outlet?
They do wear out and get weak with age as they are an active outlet all the time when they are set.
A little over two years old. But the builders didn’t always use top and parts.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I would try to replace the GFI, but dont put a 20 amp GFI unless you are wired for 20 amps. My old house had two GFIs on the same circuit that were causing issues. There was one in each bathroom like you would expect (probably due to some stupid inspector) but being on the same circuit didnt jive. If you are using an extension cord it could be old, bad, or not rated high enough, or getting wet outside and the GFI is tripping like it should.

OP
OP
Fivesense

Fivesense

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I would try to replace the GFI, but dont put a 20 amp GFI unless you are wired for 20 amps. My old house had two GFIs on the same circuit that were causing issues. There was one in each bathroom like you would expect (probably due to some stupid inspector) but being on the same circuit didnt jive. If you are using an extension cord it could be old, bad, or not rated high enough, or getting wet outside and the GFI is tripping like it should.
The outlet I'll move to is wired for 20 amp. Hope it works.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The current rating has nothing to do with if the GFCI outlet is tripping. A GFCI outlet doesn't care if there is 1 amp or 50 amps going through it, they trip if the amount of current leaving the outlet doesn't match what's coming back. If current leaving doesn't match what's coming back that means it's leaking to ground, also know as a fault to ground. Induction loads can also cause false trips as they can store/produce current.
As mentioned above try replacing the GFCI, they go bad sometimes. Its possible the heater or cord is going bad. Someone just the other day reported their block heater plug went bad.
A CTD block heater will be about 6 amps or 700 watts, EcoDiesel will be about 3 amps or 400 watts.