Engine Block Heater Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Nice!!! Well done!

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Arsenal 18x9 +12mm
Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

66RFE/68RFE Thermo Bypass Valve Install

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Redline 5W-30 RP 10-48
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thought Id add this here as it is related to my block heater and heated battery blanket install.

I installed 2 of these on my bumper.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GCP1-16...ords=bumper+plug+outlet&qid=1573088847&sr=8-6

I didn't want to have to use 2 extension cords so i found this cool cord. I did have to trim the raised part on the cord ends with some side cutters so they fit into the outlets in the bumper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FRODUR4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Last year i broke an extension cord from the cold So I purchased one of those “Flexzilla” extension cords. It is still very flexible in really cold weather.

https://www.amazon.com/Flexzilla-Extension-Lighted-Outdoor-ZillaGreen/dp/B0163AKGNG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=flexzilla+25’+extension+cord&qid=1573089473&sr=8-3
View attachment 185539

View attachment 185540

Anyway, just wanted to share my cool upgrades to the heaters

Awesome!!

RockyMtnWarWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
@U&A - Hey brother. I’m brand new to the forum. I came across your block heater instal here through an exhaustive online search for 6.4 block heater info. I have a 2016 Power Wagon with a 6.4. I also live at 9,000 feet in the Colorado Rockies. When I leave for work at 5:30 in the morning, it’s routinely well below zero here. My starter would howl and squeal when I would start my truck in the winter up here. It always started, but it made me cringe every time. Thanks to your link for the parts and detailed instructions, I no longer have that problem. I installed my block heater in about a half hour, thanks to your instructions too. I actually opened an account here just to thank you. My 6.4 purrs like a kitten now when I start it up - even under the nastiest of weather conditions.

So, a big thanks to you U&A!!9EAE3E09-F626-43C4-9CE2-41BD3D3C4E2E.jpeg47AA7CBB-7611-4A0A-9C5A-29AB1B6FA4CC.jpeg8668F660-8081-4421-9F51-6D71A1EE2A53.jpeg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
@U&A - Hey brother. I’m brand new to the forum. I came across your block heater instal here through an exhaustive online search for 6.4 block heater info. I have a 2016 Power Wagon with a 6.4. I also live at 9,000 feet in the Colorado Rockies. When I leave for work at 5:30 in the morning, it’s routinely well below zero here. My starter would howl and squeal when I would start my truck in the winter up here. It always started, but it made me cringe every time. Thanks to your link for the parts and detailed instructions, I no longer have that problem. I installed my block heater in about a half hour, thanks to your instructions too. I actually opened an account here just to thank you. My 6.4 purrs like a kitten now when I start it up - even under the nastiest of weather conditions.

So, a big thanks to you U&A!!View attachment 197004View attachment 197006View attachment 197008

Have you considered doing a 100 to 150 watt oilpan heater to. They make a world of difference on how fast the oil pressure comes up. I wouldn't go anymore then 150 watts on one if you do look into them.

RockyMtnWarWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Have you considered doing a 100 to 150 watt oilpan heater to. They make a world of difference on how fast the oil pressure comes up. I wouldn't go anymore then 150 watts on one if you do look into them.
I hadn’t really considered that. But I do get a quick “low oil pressure” notification when I first fire it up sometimes. Especially if it’s cold and has been sitting for a couple days. Are you talking about the magnetic ones?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I hadn’t really considered that. But I do get a quick “low oil pressure” notification when I first fire it up sometimes. Especially if it’s cold and has been sitting for a couple days. Are you talking about the magnetic ones?

I prefer the stick/glue on ones more,but the magnetic's are very good also.Just don't go to big on the wattage,not only do they cost more to run,but they'll also bring the oil temp up almost to much in my opinion.Anything between 100 to 150 watts won't break the bank to leave plugged in,and on nights that aren't super cold,i just use the oilpan heater,it's cheaper to run then the block heater,and with warm oil it'll even start better.

RockyMtnWarWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I prefer the stick/glue on ones more,but the magnetic's are very good also.Just don't go to big on the wattage,not only do they cost more to run,but they'll also bring the oil temp up almost to much in my opinion.Anything between 100 to 150 watts won't break the bank to leave plugged in,and on nights that aren't super cold,i just use the oilpan heater,it's cheaper to run then the block heater,and with warm oil it'll even start better.
Great advice! I’m gonna order one tonight. I appreciate it!

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage

RockyMtnWarWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

So, a big thanks to you U&A!!View attachment 197004View attachment 197006View attachment 197008

This is EXACTLY why i did this thread!! To help others[emoji847]

I very pleased that this helped you sir.[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji41]

Thanks for sharing.

I can’t ever remember my starter squealing when we get in the negative teens. But i DO remember how hard it was on the truck to start without a block heater and battery blanket. [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

RockyMtnWarWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
This is EXACTLY why i did this thread!! To help others[emoji847]

I very pleased that this helped you sir.[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji41]

Thanks for sharing.

I can’t ever remember my starter squealing when we get in the negative teens. But i DO remember how hard it was on the truck to start without a block heater and battery blanket. [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Yeah, what a difference the block heater made. I feel like it really saved my ass. Who knows how long my starter would have taken that abuse. A starter is easy to replace, but it can also leave you dead in the water. Plus, it’s just hard on any vehicle to cold crank it in extreme cold like you and I live in. I’ve had the block heater installed for a little over a month now. It’s really lifted a burden off of my shoulders. Every morning, when my alarm would go off at 4:30, I’d get up and look out the window at the blowing snow and wonder if my truck was going to start (it won’t fit in the garage). Now I don’t have to worry anymore.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yeah, what a difference the block heater made. I feel like it really saved my ass. Who knows how long my starter would have taken that abuse. A starter is easy to replace, but it can also leave you dead in the water. Plus, it’s just hard on any vehicle to cold crank it in extreme cold like you and I live in. I’ve had the block heater installed for a little over a month now. It’s really lifted a burden off of my shoulders. Every morning, when my alarm would go off at 4:30, I’d get up and look out the window at the blowing snow and wonder if my truck was going to start (it won’t fit in the garage). Now I don’t have to worry anymore.

Thanks again!

As a side not to cold weather and “good things” for our trucks.

Our transmissions (if you have an RFE) do not pump fluid while in park so when your truck has been sitting all night in the extreme cold even if your truck is out there idling in the morning to warm up your transmission fluid is not pumping. After you start it go out there and set the E break and put it in neutral. Neutral will pump fluid.

Also not a bad idea to throw it into drive in reverse for a few seconds each (obviously firmly holding the break pedal) to get fluid moving in those fluid paths as well.

At a minimum I like to let my truck in neutral with E brake on right after start up because neutral does not affect your “high idle”

[emoji1303]

RockyMtnWarWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Our transmissions (if you have an RFE) do not pump fluid while in park so when your truck has been sitting all night in the extreme cold even if your truck is out there idling in the morning to warm up your transmission fluid is not pumping. After you start it go out there and set the E break and put it in neutral. Neutral will pump fluid.

Also not a bad idea to throw it into drive in reverse for a few seconds each (obviously firmly holding the break pedal) to get fluid moving in those fluid paths as well.

At a minimum I like to let my truck in neutral with E brake on right after start up because neutral does not affect your “high idle”

[emoji1303]

I also apply my e brake and let it run in N for a bit when I fire it up. A mechanic who lives down the road from me turned me on to that little trick a few years ago. I appreciate the good advice as always though!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Big thanks to @U&A for making this thread! After waiting a couple weeks for the kit, I finally put mine in this morning. I thought since my truck is 7 years old rust would be a problem on the block where the heater goes into but it really wasn't too bad. Getting the starter out and getting the angle right to put the heater in was the worst part for me. I have Shorty headers and the collector flange is just enough of a different shape than the manifolds that it made it slightly harder to get the heater in the block. Other than that it went smooth.

Then I ran the wire up to the front fender liner where I have my battery maintainer plug mounted. Now in the winter I can power both.

Thanks again @U&A [emoji106][emoji106]1b1a71d65ad705a787c4f305bc9688d1.jpg38bc816c95789604823ca5039984f228.jpg

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid

[emoji1303]

Where I live U NEVER use the E brake in the winter months.............do to salt.

I use it all summer then shut it off till spring. BTW is a auto set on gen 5's........

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Where I live U NEVER use the E brake in the winter months.............do to salt.

I use it all summer then shut it off till spring. BTW is a auto set on gen 5's........

Salt here in Michigan to. I have used my e-break EVERY time I park in every vehicle iv ever owned all year. Never an issue.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you don't use your ebrake often it will corrode and get stuck, especially in a state that uses salt.

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
Salt here in Michigan to. I have used my e-break EVERY time I park in every vehicle iv ever owned all year. Never an issue.

Well, guess i am stupid. U learn a thing or two being old. Never used a E-brake EVER to park my car unless on a hill.

In a real world folks would maintain the system, Yeah right.

Just what I have seen in 40 years WRENCHING

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Well, guess i am stupid. U learn a thing or two being old. Never used a E-brake EVER to park my car unless on a hill.

In a real world folks would maintain the system, Yeah right.

Just what I have seen in 40 years WRENCHING

Wow

I guess I hit a nerve eh? I never said you were stupid.

You shared your opinion back by experience and so did I.

Thick skin required

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Quick question on this thread.

The link you provided specs out the heater info for a 3500. I am guessing the same part apply to a 2500 PW since its also a 6.4l.

Part No: 6501373 (Hex Head Screw)
Part No: 5149022AB (Block Heater)
Part No: 68409909AA (Heater cord)

Do those numbers look right? Nothing else needed right?