Engine Cooling Fan Runs Excessively

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ellis32198

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 3500 DRW
Engine
Cummins 6.7 L T-Diesel
Hi. I'm new to the forum and haven't posted anything until now. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

An issue has just started with the cooling fan running way too long, far past the normal 15-20 seconds at first start up. It usually takes about 5-10 miles on the interstate for it to calm down.

Would this be a fan clutch replacement or something else? Thanks in advance for any insights.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi. I'm new to the forum and haven't posted anything until now. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

An issue has just started with the cooling fan running way too long, far past the normal 15-20 seconds at first start up. It usually takes about 5-10 miles on the interstate for it to calm down.

Would this be a fan clutch replacement or something else? Thanks in advance for any insights.
This could potentially be a fan clutch issue. Can clutches are a viscous drive where they utilize a fluid or silicone internally to create friction which leads to fan engagement. If there is an internal issue in the fan which is not allowing the silicone to escape the chamber it can lead to a fan staying engaged longer until the fluid warms up.

As s test, allow the truck to sit overnight. In the morning before starting the engine, turn the fan by hand and feel how much effort it takes to turn the fan. If it is really hard to turn then you can suspect an issue with the fan.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Looks like the fan clutch will need to be replaced. It required a bit of elbow grease to move it when cold. Thanks again @Fast69Mopar .
No worries. If you have never dealt with fan clutches before they can be deceiving sometimes. They can require some effort to turn when cold but there is a difference between the good one that required effort to turn and the bad one that required a longer effort to turn. Since we can't see inside and a viscous drive fan clutch has no electronics it's up to us, the wrench turners, to make that determination.

For the ones that act like yours on a gas motor, I have disassembled a couple of the clutches to see if I could actually find the issue. What I found to be my most educated guess was the silicone fluid inside had begun to gel or almost harden in some areas and it was restricting the flow in and out of the chambers.

When you install the new fan clutch, don't panic after you start the engine and hear the fan clutch fully engaged. It's normal. The clutch has never been installed or run so it takes a few for the fluid to flow to the correct places and then the fan will disengage and dies down. No worries.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What Fast69Mopar said is the easiest method to checking a fan clutch. It is really the only way I have ever done it as well.

OP
OP
Ellis32198

Ellis32198

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 3500 DRW
Engine
Cummins 6.7 L T-Diesel
Hey @Fast69Mopar @Treburkulosis @RedSRT4Me . Thanks for all your tips, tricks, and input. I'll be swapping this puppy out in the coming weeks using the knowledge you've shared.

I was able to find a video explaining how to make the swap myself HERE. In the comments of that video was a conversation with someone that found the clutch (regularly $550+) for right at $100 on Amazon. I can already hear some of you giving the OEM speech. I know, I get it. :)

I'll update once I get the new part installed. Thanks again!