Engine dies randomly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bubbaprice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2008 Dodge Ram 2D 4.7l

I've been having issues with the engine dying at low rpms, high rpms (highway speed). The engine light comes on and blinks and dings.
The only code is for multiple misfires. I am seeing misfires on cylinders 3, 7, and 8.
Fuel pressure is good and have installed a new pump before this issue started.
Injectors are getting power, and I have switched coils from known good cylinders to bad with no effect.
All spark plugs are new and don't look burnt or dirty.
I did install a new crank sensor as it has thrown a code for it at random times. It still does once in a while but it seems really random.
I have also gone through the electrical connections and cleaned them.

I actually had it die in my garage with a fuel pressure tester on and it read normal after the engine died while trying to diagnose the issue. It's like it just shuts off. Is that a protection feature possibly?
I'm kind of lost after trying multiple things and can't seem to find a direction to head next. I'm guessing possible fuel injector replacement but I really don't know if that will help.

Thanks,

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Harder to do, since you've swapped coils, have you tried swapping injectors to see if the misfires follow? While you're at it, inspect them or even have them serviced at a reputable shop.