Engine grumbles to life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
canders13247

canders13247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
Get your sensors from auto zone?

Nope. O'Reillys. I'm a frequent customer at the one down the road at my house so I get decent discounts. The ones in the truck appeared to be the original ones. The gauge has always been spot on with the temp. I'm hoping I just broke the sensor when I did the plenum. If the gauge is wrong, I'm getting an after market oil pressure and coolant temp gauge set.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
First things first if you have not repaired your exhaust leak ( from what i understand) you must absolutely do so. If there is fresh air coming in before the o2 sensor it is for sure going to mess the readings up and the motor will try to correct what it sees as running lean.

OP
OP
canders13247

canders13247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
First things first if you have not repaired your exhaust leak ( from what i understand) you must absolutely do so. If there is fresh air coming in before the o2 sensor it is for sure going to mess the readings up and the motor will try to correct what it sees as running lean.

I hadn't thought of that. I'll do that asap. I'll also Replace the precat o2 sensor too. I also replaced the coolant temp sensor and sender. Doesn't hit 200 at all.

OP
OP
canders13247

canders13247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
Well, ordered a new O2 sensor from Summit. That should be here Monday. I'm taking it to my buddy's muffler shop to have a few things done. I'm getting the exhaust leak fixed, Having the new O2 sensor put in, and having it converted to true duals :peace:

OP
OP
canders13247

canders13247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
Well, got the exhaust leaks fixed, new O2 sensor installed, true dual Flowmaster 40s put on and the cat fully removed(All for $150!) and its LOUD now. It starts up a little better and doesn't misfire as much right after start up, but it does idle around 900. How do I adjust my Idle down? Can I on these trucks?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If it's idling that high, you have a vacuum leak or your throttle plates are stuck open some.

OP
OP
canders13247

canders13247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
If it's idling that high, you have a vacuum leak or your throttle plates are stuck open some.

Do you think the IAC could be going bad? Every once in a while when I start it up it will turn on then idle down to 200 or so and die if I don't give it a little gas. I'll still check it for vacuum leaks tomorrow. Aside from idling at 800 or so its running really good. Nice and smooth and mpgs are around 14 now(when I drive normal, but wheres the fun in that?).

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Do you think the IAC could be going bad? Every once in a while when I start it up it will turn on then idle down to 200 or so and die if I don't give it a little gas. I'll still check it for vacuum leaks tomorrow. Aside from idling at 800 or so its running really good. Nice and smooth and mpgs are around 14 now(when I drive normal, but wheres the fun in that?).
Quite possibly. Have you attempted to clean it lately? Also, is it a factory IAC or a replacement IAC?

OP
OP
canders13247

canders13247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
Quite possibly. Have you attempted to clean it lately? Also, is it a factory IAC or a replacement IAC?

When I had the engine apart to do the plenum I cleaned the underside of the throttle plates and just sprayed out the iac and map really quick, didn't do much on them. I don't have any papers saying it was replaced, and a lot of parts on the truck where factory. So I'm assuming it's factory.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
When I had the engine apart to do the plenum I cleaned the underside of the throttle plates and just sprayed out the iac and map really quick, didn't do much on them. I don't have any papers saying it was replaced, and a lot of parts on the truck where factory. So I'm assuming it's factory.
More than likely.

Remove the IAC and see if it looks uber-dirty. If so, clean it really good with TB cleaner (without, pushing, pulling, or turning the pintle).

Then reset the PCM, see what that does.

OP
OP
canders13247

canders13247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
More than likely.

Remove the IAC and see if it looks uber-dirty. If so, clean it really good with TB cleaner (without, pushing, pulling, or turning the pintle).

Then reset the PCM, see what that does.

Sweet, I'll do that tomorrow and check for any vacuum leaks just to be sure there aren't any.

I just gotta say, I'm so glad I got rid of my F150 for this truck. I got a call around 10 that my buddy got his crew cab, long bed F350 stuck in the woods. Long story short, I got through the trails and ripped his 7000lb truck out all in 2 wheel drive! My front drive shaft fell apart weeks ago and I don't have the money to get a new one yet. This truck is impressive!

My souvenir: A bent 20,000lb rated hook that got ripped off a strap.
trophy.jpg

OP
OP
canders13247

canders13247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
I'm really getting SICK of this truck. It has no power at all. On the road it gets up and goes, but as soon as I get off road it seems to loose all its power. In a little mud it won't rev past 2500 with the pedal to the floor IN TWO WHEEL DRIVE. Any ideas on what's wrong? Here's the list of anything engine related:

Hughes plenum kit, cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs(All Chrysler parts) 14x3 air cleaner, true dual Flowmaster 40 exhaust, new 02 sensor, radiator, 180 degree thermostat. That's all I can really think of right now.

OP
OP
canders13247

canders13247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
Tires are 265/70 r17. They measure exactly 32 inches tall and 11 inches wide. 3.55 gears with limited slip in front and rear