Engine issues with new truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TexasBlackRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can't Lemon Law something due to one problem, albeit major problem! You have to document ongoing problems and not just one. This does not even come close to qualifying.
I'm sorry you had this happen, and the 5.7 is overall a good engine so as another typed this is not common, but can happen. Lemon Law thoughts are very premature. Keep good documentation JUST IN CASE but this in itself certainly doesn't mean you bought a lemon.

And as for the person with the 2002 with same problem, that was 20 years ago, non Eagle Head engine and I wouldn't use that one incident of yours and this one 20 years later to condemn these engines, nor his truck as a lemon.

I would insist on rental/loaner though.

Also if it does indeed require a new engine, I would bet big money a NEW engine is what it gets. The dealership isn't going to save by finding a scrap yard engine. They bill corporate for parts and labor for warranty issues and get their profit too. You'll pop the hood and see that you clearly have a new engine.
Thanks for the information. I don't think this is a lemon law situation at this point. I've got documentation on the issue and will continue documenting throughout the process. I've pressed for the loaner but keep hearing that I will get one when it becomes available, which from the latest discussion, should be this week. SA confirmed that a new engine will be installed. Trying to remain patient, but not having the approval 2 weeks after the issue is irritating. I understand the red tape and the procedures which always slows progress. Hopefully I'll hear back on the approval and loaner early this week.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The biggest issues are part availability lately.
If the engine is backordered and this is the dealer that you purchased the truck from, you might ask about a buyback.

They "might" if you have been a long time customer, but with stock as low as it is, it's hard to say.

I know it's all frustrating, but the supply chain issues (which I still think are by design to a degree at this point) have just messed everything up - including rentals.

A lot of people are actually doing intermittent rentals as they wait for their vehicle to arrive - which is taking months.

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
make them replace the truck under lemon law. Do not settle for an engine.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Was this a regular hemi or E torque?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Regular Hemi.
In this situation I don't believe its a lemon law issue for you. Even if they agreed to a buyback you might find it hard to get another with the exact equipment because of the current inventory issues (my dealer has exactly zero 5th gens at the moment). Unless, of course, the equipment package of the replacement isn't a concern.

I noticed they were installing a new engine in to a Grand Wagoneer when I was there last week. The tech. said Ram was giving the owner a 150,000 mile warranty on the replacement. I don't know if there are special circumstances involved or not, but that's a benefit that would be hard to pass up for me.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 79291 miles

OP
OP
T

TexasBlackRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In this situation I don't believe its a lemon law issue for you. Even if they agreed to a buyback you might find it hard to get another with the exact equipment because of the current inventory issues (my dealer has exactly zero 5th gens at the moment). Unless, of course, the equipment package of the replacement isn't a concern.

I noticed they were installing a new engine in to a Grand Wagoneer when I was there last week. The tech. said Ram was giving the owner a 150,000 mile warranty on the replacement. I don't know if there are special circumstances involved or not, but that's a benefit that would be hard to pass up for me.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 79291 miles
No mention of any extension on the warranty, as of yet, but I did get a loaner and the paperwork for the new engine was submitted on Tuesday. Initial estimate is that I could get the truck back as early as next Friday. More likely to be the following week, but seeing progress and having wheels to use is certainly welcomed.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not all engine failures result in a loud bang, with fluids puking everywhere. In the race and repair world, that would be called "grenading the engine". That also typically makes a LOT more racket.....think of a midget in the oil pan with a jackhammer.

From your description, what it sounds to me like that you most likely spun a rod bearing. Rod bearings are semi circular pieces of babbitt steel, and when the clearances get to an excessive degree, one bearing will ride up into the other one. Right before this happens, you will hear a clicking, then once it's good and wedged, it will seize the engine up.

Why would this happen on such a fresh engine, you might ask. Well, the most common cause is when the engine block is cast, they likely didn't get it perfectly clean and free of casting flash, sand, etc. These impurities will find their way into the engine bearings, and cause big problems. This is EXACTLY why Hyundai and Kia are replacing so many engines right now.

I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of the truck, either. I WOULD lemon law it if the repair time will be over 30 days. But a blown engine is a very easy problem to solve, as long as they can get the parts. I would however INSIST on a brand new engine. Don't let them talk you into a remanufactured engine, as your truck has such low mileage on it.
I agree a blown engine is a easy fix But I would insist on a new crate Long Block engine from Ram or give me a new truck ! the choice they would have from me is one or the other!

The reason for long block engine over short block is short block does not come with the heads ! where as long block is with heads on it ! the other reason is if the cause was a casting or cleaning issue crap could still be caught in the head oil galleys of your old heads so reason for long block !

OP
OP
T

TexasBlackRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree a blown engine is a easy fix But I would insist on a new crate Long Block engine from Ram or give me a new truck ! the choice they would have from me is one or the other!

The reason for long block engine over short block is short block does not come with the heads ! where as long block is with heads on it ! the other reason is if the cause was a casting or cleaning issue crap could still be caught in the head oil galleys of your old heads so reason for long block !
SA confirmed new long block from Ram. Thanks for the info!

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
SA confirmed new long block from Ram. Thanks for the info!
Glad to hear that ! since they are putting in long block i wouldn't be worried about the truck i would drive it while under warranty and 6 months before warranty is up I would asses what issues you have had with the truck over the years then decide weather to sell or keep it !

Cheers

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Once your truck is repaired and in your hands, then, see if yoru Staes lemon laws allow you to have claim. IF you like your truck, contact RAM and just talk with them. Let hem know you are unhappy, bu mostly woorried. You are worried you got the Junker that everyone, who makes anything, has to deal with. Not every single product is oging to be perfect and you are now terrified.

That you would like to the best most extensive waranty possible and you feel RAM should help you, for your troubles.

Do not mention Lemon Laws, just yet.

see if youcan get the warranty free or extremely cheap

good luck and hope you never have another issue.

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Build a million of something and there are going to be failures for no apparent reason . The toughest most reliable car I ever owned spent 4 months in the shop in its 1st year . Tried to get rid of it no go , but after the warranty ended and got it away from the dealer it wouldn't die . Drove it for 7 years and over 200,000 miles and the more miserable the weather the better it worked. Minus 20 loved it ,me not so much .
Hopefully it is a rare incident and they will get you up and running soon . It's frustrating but hopefully the dealer will treat you right .

DaveSharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I seen something similar in the 90's when I worked at Chrysler. They built a bunch of V6 and V8 with the wrong connecting rod bearings and believe it or not assembled incorrectly. Same result, knock, knock, knock, seize.