Engine keeps dying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stan Henry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a 99 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 that I've had for a few months but I'm having a problem with it wanting to die sometimes when I go to stop, unless I put it in neutral or keep on the accelerater slightly. Then the other day as I was driving the truck was missing it seemed like trying to make it up over a hill. Any suggestions on where to start would be really appreciated.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Take the air box off your intake and get you a can choke cleaner.You are going to see two round disks they are butterflies if you open the throttle and they are black that is your problem.Fuel injection does not have a throttle stop screw like a Carb.What happens when you come to a stop light your throttle opens but when you come to a stop it closes and slap shut and it doesn't return back to idle causing it to stall.I had two Dakotas with 3.9 v6 do the same thing see if this doesn't help I also had a 5.9 360 same set up.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Actually these do have a throttle stop. In fact you can knock out a plug on the front of the throttle body and adjust it (don't though).

As with the other thread, the fact that it has an issue while driving points to other avenues than dirty throttle blades.

TPS is a good place to start testing

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Also look at the throttle position sensor carbon build up around the butterfly shaft.Some have a little o ring that goes behind the throttle position sensor after time they crack and leak too.