Engine light on. Outside temp says -40

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I just swapped my heated power mirrors out for a set of non heated power towing mirrors and now my engine light is on and evic says -40. What happened? Everything is plugged in correctly and mirrors work

OP
OP
S

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Would it need to be flashed to take features away? Such as the heated feature?

OP
OP
S

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Wow. Seems so stupid. I switched my mirrors on my Chevy and had no issues. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
lol its been happening for a while at least on the rams. Most newer mopars most everything is controlled by computer. Need to reprogram for anything added or taken away that is/was OEM. Sucks but thats the way it is now.

OP
OP
S

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Just emailed the dealer and he said bring it in and they will flash it or figure out what's wrong.

OP
OP
S

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
so I found out the outside temp sensor is in the drivers side mirror so thats why it is displaying -40 since the tow mirrors don't have a temp sensor. Thinking the engine light has something to do with the sensor not being hooked up.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Weird. I thought it would be in front by the grille. I guess that's a better place for it. I bet that's the check engine light issue

Sent from my tapatalk equipped AT&T iPhone 5

OP
OP
S

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
So I tried that on off on off on key thing to read any problem codes and all it said was "done". Gonna go to oreileys at lunch and see if they can scan the truck for any codes.

OP
OP
S

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Came up as a code "U110E" which is lost ambient temperature. Checking with dealer to see if this can be cleared out and not come back. I don't mind losing ambient temp if it means truck works fine and I can keep tow mirrors on truck

OP
OP
S

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Thought I would update everyone

Took stock mirror apart, pulled temp sensor out and wired it into my tow mirror harness. All is good I got temp display back, and towing mirrors are mounted up

ACGilley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OK gents, I swapped my factory mirrors for tow mirrors from 1A Auto. Mirros hooked up fine but I had no idea sensor was in mirror. Bad habit of mine is to throw things away I do not use or cannot sell - ergo the original mirrors (trash ran the next morning after I installed). Can you get a replacement sensor from auto parts store? Is there a harness required or is it in place with replacement mirrors? Switched mirrors on multiple vehicles previously (including couple of 3rd gen Rams) and never had this issue. Thanks in advance for the assistance...

ManAndHisRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Good job smiley87. I'm a factory tech and I would have done the same thing. Flashing the computer can sometimes do odd things and your solution is a good one. I'm going to share it with the other Pomoco techs.