EQ Magnum VS EQ Monster Magnum heads.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dragracefan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK guys sorry I've been away for a bit had a few health issues that are kind of ironic with this subject. As some of you remember I was looking to build a stroker motor and was starting to purchase everything needed to do the job. all I need now is the rotating assembly and the machine work.

Well now to the question at hand, The motor I have in my truck finally ate it self up and I have a spare motor laying around that I'm just gonna freshen up and put in my truck until I build the stroker.

The heads are bad and I have a brand new set of enginequest monster magnum heads that I was gonna use on the stroker.

So I was wondering has anyone used the monster heads on a stock bottom end and if they used the harland sharp 1.7 or 1.6 or the stock 1.6 rockers and do I need to run a tune in the engine.

As far as the irony of this post, last year at work I slipped on oil at work carrying a cyl head and fell on my knee and crushed my knee. so now I'm out of work now healing.

meistermash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am no help to your questions.
Just wanted to say I hope you pull threw the healing ok.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You can run em but I would get it tuned. Without tuning you could possibly experience lean issues though if you're putting em on an engine with a stock cam it'll likely just be a little lazy down low tq wise

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The Monster heads have 2.02 intakes and some port work, yes? They'll give great top-end power, at the expense of low-end on stock stroke but should give awesome all-around power on a stroker.

As for the rockers, kind of depends on your choice of cam. Smaller lift, I'd go with the 1.7. Larger lift, I'd stick with 1.6. Large lift with 1.7's will work great but the increased lift ratio over stock with large lobe lift means you'll need to be especially mindful of piston to valve clearance. As for brand, if you're sticking to the pedestal mounts, Harland Sharp is the only way to go, unless you convert the heads to stud mount, and then you can use Chebby rockers. Harland Sharp is a pretty well-reviewed brand and pedestal mounts, despite being a weaker design than stud and especially shaft-mount, should be fine up to 6,000 RPM as long as you're not being too abusive.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
People get ate up on the big head little cam= bad low but realistically it's negligible to the butt dyno. Cam makes more of a difference there

OP
OP
dragracefan

dragracefan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sorry for the late response guys,

I'm doing a stock bottom end, i picked up a motor on craigslist from a guy that had it sitting for 10 years out a 2002.

i took it apart to re ring it and new bearings. being the heads are known for cracking and instead of going out and buying a set of regular EQ heads i was gonna use the ones i have already.

My thought was the fact that the eq heads where the same as the R/T heads and if i run the harland sharp 1.7 which i have already why would i have a clearance issue, don't get me wrong i will do the clay test and make sure it has clearance while i have it on the engine stand.

The question i had on the tuning issue is when people install the 1.7 rockers i don't hear about them having to change the tune.

I was just gonna use the heads until i can get the money up to finish the stroker which believe me i can't wait to do it. which is the reason i picked up the other used motor so i could build it while i was nursing the old motor, it just didn't happen.

OP
OP
dragracefan

dragracefan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Miestermash, thank you for the well wishes.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You can use that combo fine. I wouldn't run the dog **** out of it without a tune but other than that you won't hurt anything.