Evap Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lenbob2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi in it. The check engine light came on last fall and the code came back as a small Evap Leak.So far I've replaced the fuel tank pressure sensor,the purge valve and most recently the fuel vapor leak detection pump. Each time the code is cleared only to have the check engine light come back on a week later.I've spent over 600.00 and don't want to waste any more if I can help it.Does anyone have any suggestions on what it might be? Thanks for any input

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
See if this article might help you out.

https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/p0456-dodge-ram/

My 2001 1500 had that same code which the dealership could not, more likely would not, find a cause since it was still under warranty. After having the truck for 16 years and that code evolving to a large leak, I had Meineke do a smoke test which found that the hoses in/out of the canisters and between them were cracked. If only the dealership had done a smoke test in 2002 when it first started...

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Were the parts you swapped indeed not working or was it just an attempt to clear the code? What I'm getting at is you really should do some diagnosis before swapping parts.

Aftermarket EVAP pressure sensors and purge valves can be junk right out of the box.

OP
OP
L

Lenbob2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7
Were the parts you swapped indeed not working or was it just an attempt to clear the code? What I'm getting at is you really should do some diagnosis before swapping parts.

Aftermarket EVAP pressure sensors and purge valves can be junk right out of the box.
I'm thinking it was a guessing game and there was nothing wrong with what they replaced.The remote start won't work when the check engine light is on and that sucks in the winter time.

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've had the same code on my 2005 for a couple years. I've replaced the same parts you did. as well as the canister. I would replace the lines, but they are no longer available.

Since the truck still runs OK, I just reset the light when it comes on. It may come on again the next day, or a next month. I'm tired of throwing money at it.

Glenn Chaisson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi in it. The check engine light came on last fall and the code came back as a small Evap Leak.So far I've replaced the fuel tank pressure sensor,the purge valve and most recently the fuel vapor leak detection pump. Each time the code is cleared only to have the check engine light come back on a week later.I've spent over 600.00 and don't want to waste any more if I can help it.Does anyone have any suggestions on what it might be? Thanks for any input
1 year later, I finally found my leak. The new Leak Detector Module Pump has a snap on cover on the diaphragm. The cover was not secured properly and leaking past diaphragm

Attachments

• B9E47CD7-DE7E-45ED-AB2E-F27394B4D019.png
    B9E47CD7-DE7E-45ED-AB2E-F27394B4D019.png
    471.1 KB · Views: 10

Glenn Chaisson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had the same code on my 2005 for a couple years. I've replaced the same parts you did. as well as the canister. I would replace the lines, but they are no longer available.

Since the truck still runs OK, I just reset the light when it comes on. It may come on again the next day, or a next month. I'm tired of throwing money at it.
My 2004 was the snap on lid on the Leak Detection Pump Module. The snap lid on the diaphragm had a few clips not set fully and was allowing a leak. see Attached picture. It is the flat lid on top that was leaking.

Attachments

• FF34146A-D9D7-4682-9273-FD9A663EBC05.png
    FF34146A-D9D7-4682-9273-FD9A663EBC05.png
    471.1 KB · Views: 3