evaporator core has a leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just got a call from the dealer and he told me that they found Dye in my blower motor so they put a camera up there and found that my evaporator core has a leak in it. Just had my A/C fixed last week when they put a new dryer or accumulator on it. worked fine for about a week and now they want to charge me $880 to fix this. $337 for parts and the rest in labor, he said they would have to take the dash off to get to this. do you think a sealer would fix this temporarily? either that or I'll have to take the dash off myself to save on labor costs. I think I can find the parts cheaper as well.

ercmesser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man your a/c is a thorn in your side. Have the shop evac the system. And do it yourself. The part is only 120 at az down here so i would think it would be the same up there. Put a side about 8-10 hours and a couple case of cold Bud to do the job. And get a set of discount tools. Good luck!!!!!

blk05hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Man your a/c is a thorn in your side. Have the shop evac the system. And do it yourself. The part is only 120 at az down here so i would think it would be the same up there. Put a side about 8-10 hours and a couple case of cold Bud to do the job. And get a set of discount tools. Good luck!!!!!

This!

2 bad you dont live over here would do it at the college for free just parts cost!

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I have decided to do just that. I"m going to take the dash apart buy the part at autozone which is only $108.00 here. Once I get it out and put back in I'll take it over to them to have them charge the system again. Is it necessary to have it evacuated first? I can't image it would take the 5 hours they claim to get the dash apart and back together but maybe it will. All I know is I'm not going to be paying someone $100/hr to do labor I'm capaple of myself. I guess this will be a good time to send off my radio bezel to weedahoe while I have it apart so I can get my DD put in soon. I'm a little worried though with the part from AutoZone because it only carries a 3 month warranty.

ercmesser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For safety yes, evac system.You can still have pressure and gasses in it. You don't want the tree hugs getting on you either. When you get in to the hvac unit check your heater core and blend doors. Better to take apart once than twice. As for as the part i've put alot of parts with 3 month warranty five year ago and still work great. The only thing I worry about with that warranty is brakes shocks and electronics, That **** needs life time. But make sure you have quick disconnect tools for the a/c line to the evap core, you'll need them.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay what is a quick disconnect tool and where can I get one?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
You can get them at any parts store. Warning tearing out the dash is a long process. Not hard just tedious and time consuming. If ya get a buddy to help it isnt horrible.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ercmesser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Parts stores. You can rent or buy if you buy them do not get the plastic ones. They are useless and break. Try to get the metal one. I know it take a long time. Hint couple cases of cold Bud. Take your time you can do it.