Excessive rocker arm chatter.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What did say about the oil? You think that was related to something after you put an intake on? Are you sure? This was happening before you put intake on? And had you noticed it dry underneath? I was thinking bearings or output shaft.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Right at the 30 second mark in second video when you put the recorder right there, that is what my guess would be. Great video capture btw, it has to be in that location imo.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The motor was just rebuilt recently. Has about 8k on it. Just did an oil change about 1k ago and no metal at all. I change the oil every 3k even though it still looks clean at that time. It's just a habit. Trans is under warranty So I could have them pull it and see if its the output shaft.

I though the oil was from the rear main seal, but it is coming from up Higher as far as I can tell. I have to take the inspection plate off today because I was also thinking the Flex plate bolts might be loose. I have the 6.4 Intake to put on with injectors. My current 5.7 intake and injectors are original from 09 and never changed (over 250k miles on them). I think there are a couple cracks in the manifold for sure.

My Throttle if I put it in neutral and rev it up will stay up for at least 3-4 seconds before it starts to return down slowly. I have checked my Fastman TB but it is clean and looks great. also did the TB relearn and the revs still stay high. Only thing I can think of is a crack and air leak.

When I put on the 6.4 Manifold I am going to pull my valve covers and check the torque on all my rocker arms, Check my plug gaps, and look for anything else that may be wrong. I got the Greene .5HL V2 Thump cam in it with all the upgraded springs and such as well.

Also to your last question I have not checked the compression yet. I will do that as well when I go to remove the valve covers. Another thing is when I had my heads put together they staked the valve seats to make sure there is no way I am dropping any sets.

Something to me sounds loose and tapping. I think it is valvetrain and hope it is up top. The Rockers and rocker assembly is also original OEM and over 250k on them. Would it help to replace them all just to be safe?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can see how much play is in those before swapping, and I think you are right, I think it is internal, but I think it is in lower end, I hope I am wrong. I will listen again to top end with my noise canceling phones. What did rebuild include? All the lower end stuff and pistons, or just pistons?

edit : So I just listened again to vid 1 especially the end of video from top, I hear nothing man. Like I said, I hope I am wrong, but my ear says bottom end. Get you a stethoscope and touch bottom end and heads and see where it is? Is there any oil on ground? You sure the oil isn't being thrown up to make you believe it is higher?

Last edited:

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rebuild was a complete package. Went from 5.7L to 6.1L. New pistons, rods, bearings, rings, honed, line bored, the works.

Should I do an oil change and pull the pan to inspect it? I have a stethoscope, but what noise would I be listening for? Tapping? or Grinding?

I am doing the 6.4 intake anyways so I can check up top. If it not there then I would probably guess rear main seal. I do also have spots on the ground. If I clean it all up it takes about a week before I get a spot though.

Is there anyway I could record the sound from the stethoscope? Never tried that :)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It will be self explanatory, you will feel a vibration through the stethoscope either on bottom ends or heads, in theory of course. I wouldnt drop pan, if you are gonna change it just do it when the oil is warm, not hot. Look around the bottom when the oil is hot, see if you can see where it drips.