Exhaust Brake is the best feature in a Diesel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Just towed 33ft travel trailer with my Ram 2500. The exhaust Brake is simply amazing. Pulling off on a steep downhill off ramp I hardly had to touch the brake. I am glad I listened to the pro Diesel guys when buying my first truck, well worth every penny of the premium price.

Previously I towed a popup with a Chrysler Pacifica which is a surprisingly solid TV for a popup.

And yes I went from never owing a truck to a Cummins 2500. Go big or go home.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The pulling power of the diesel is the best feature, IMO. But I agree the dual mode exhaust brake is a really nice feature also.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
When it comes to towing the Cummins and Hemi are not even in the same ballpark. The CTD makes more torque off idle than the Hemi does at it's peak, as much as people go on about horsepower it's torque that moves the load.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I love the sound when towing and rpm down around 1500. Letting it or making it work is what the CTD likes. The EB is just an added bonus to help save on the brakes. I run mine all the time.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Powerstrokes and Duramaxes sit on the sidelines just to listen to the sweet sound of an I6 Cummins working. I think the RAM engineers gave just enough engine sounds in the cab to make smiles.

I'll be towing my 16-foot dump trailer today, need a few loads of 21AC, and a load of screened topsoil. I have a few hills to conquer and can't wait to watch the boost gauge rise while the speedo stays the same all while listening to the Cummins.

Last edited:

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Get her warmed up and make her bubble.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I agree after using the exhaust brake with a heavy trailer, its makes stopping so much easier. I will admit though, if you have a panic stop, it really doesn't come in in time to do a whole of work to help you stop.

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2000 5.9/5spd manual and the big gaps in the transmissions' gearing make the EB a must for heavy loads on steep grades. My brake life has quadrupled since adding the EB.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I agree after using the exhaust brake with a heavy trailer, its makes stopping so much easier. I will admit though, if you have a panic stop, it really doesn't come in in time to do a whole of work to help you stop.

Do you have it in automatic (green indicator) or full time (yellow indicator0? I is full time since I did not like automatic as I found it came on too abruptly (like a harsh downshift) under some conditions and it dropped out around 30 MPH while braking. It works much more smoothly for me in full time mode and doesn't drop out until around 10 MPH.