Exhaust Cutout - Yes or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

that white kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
with the qt. do you have to use the switch provided or can you hard wire it into the auxiliary panel?

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
with the qt. do you have to use the switch provided or can you hard wire it into the auxiliary panel?

It doesn't necessarily have to be the switch that comes with the kit, but it does have to be a momentary switch (so no, the aux switches would not work). I bought the wireless version and synced it with the HomeLink buttons.

that white kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It doesn't necessarily have to be the switch that comes with the kit, but it does have to be a momentary switch (so no, the aux switches would not work). I bought the wireless version and synced it with the HomeLink buttons.

Well Damn! is there any way that you can hard wire any of the cutouts into the aux panel? Can you hard wire in the raceland?

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They're all the same. I don't know if there's a way to modify one of the aux switches, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be easy. You don't want constant power to these things (eg forgetting to turn off switch after opening/closing cutout) cause you'll burn up the motor.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I have no idea, hopefully Hemi450 can answer that. I can say that you do loose a little low end torque, because of reduced back pressure... I have yet to wot it and see how it feels at the top end. :naughty:[/QUOTE]

Keep the cut out closed until you get up on speed and then open it. Keep your low end off the line and then open it up:naughty:

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I am running cutouts on both my trucks. I chose to run the Magnaflow stainless cutout pipes with Quick Time Performance electric motors. The Magnaflow cutout pipes comes with stainless Accuseal clamps which are the same ones that came with your catback. They seal very well, and are very easy to remove if necessary.

How is the cutout motor wired? To the battery or the 12v in the cab?

tsunamilogan05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you guys like the sound of the cutout. Really debating on it due to the benefit of stock exhaust when riding with clients and cutout when I'm by myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShortBed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with Magnuson Supercharger 6lbs of boost
The videos never get the sound correct, you are so right. Still I have to admit I never get tired of opening the QTP even if its for a minute or two when the time is right. Thanks for your input.

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
Cutouts FTW!!! Love my one on the jeep....:)

After awhile it doesn't want to shut all the way, or the flap gets bent from the exhaust pressure.....

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
damn... i might have to buy one of these.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Put a skid plate on and hide the cut outs that way.
No see ‘em no problem

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L. USMC (ret)

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I have the QTP on my Grand National and my neighbor has on his 08 Ram 5.7 We both use the same exhaust shop. Our guy prefers QTP because of the quality. Butterfly closes quickly and seals well. He uses a compression quick connect and aircraft torque clamps. A side note. As a fellow Ca member, thought you would get a LOL. When I had my 2017 smog certification, it was the first year of the new rules. "Visual inspection for factory modification first" I have been taking my vehicles to him for years. This was the first time he said "some day you will tell me why you let the exhaust shop put that short section in with clamps" The State heat is on these guys. Passed, but I am making sure that any HP modification parts are CABR compliant.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just letting you guys know we offer electric cut outs from Doug's headers and Pypes. message me with what you are looking for

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the QTP on my Grand National and my neighbor has on his 08 Ram 5.7 We both use the same exhaust shop. Our guy prefers QTP because of the quality. Butterfly closes quickly and seals well. He uses a compression quick connect and aircraft torque clamps. A side note. As a fellow Ca member, thought you would get a LOL. When I had my 2017 smog certification, it was the first year of the new rules. "Visual inspection for factory modification first" I have been taking my vehicles to him for years. This was the first time he said "some day you will tell me why you let the exhaust shop put that short section in with clamps" The State heat is on these guys. Passed, but I am making sure that any HP modification parts are CABR compliant.

That's great, LOL!

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm loving the QTP exhaust cutout! Quality of the cutout isn't the greatest given how expensive it is and they ship you a slip joint pipe that is oval shaped (others have reported the same). Outside of the quality issues I love the function and sound!

Install Video:headbang:

Sound Clip Video :head3:

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a cheap cutout from eBay, it was wireless and came with a weld in y pipe and a turn down.

Stainless strap clamps were $9 each at Auto parts store.

Love the sound, I can go from old man to full hillbilly in seconds.

Things to note :
It is cheaply wired, but out last the qtp I had in my VW.

It's has 2 positions, open or close. Switched ones are variable.

Due to cheaper construction, valve doesn't fully close at start up.

Strap clamps have slipped twice in 7 months or so..

When cutting intermediate pipe, cut less than the y pipe. The mufflers are under tension and move away. This the reason my clamps slip.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

theJester517

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I am running cutouts on both my trucks. I chose to run the Magnaflow stainless cutout pipes with Quick Time Performance electric motors. The Magnaflow cutout pipes comes with stainless Accuseal clamps which are the same ones that came with your catback. They seal very well, and are very easy to remove if necessary.

Hey man I just picked up a 2017 Ram 1500 Sport and I'm interested in doing a cat back exhaust and adding in some exhaust cut outs, I saw you said Magnaflow makes the cutout section and you used them, I'm wondering how they would fit in if I bought the catback exhaust also from Magnaflow? I'm also on a mission to get them wired up to work from the diesel exhaust brake button on the instrument panel, I already ordered the panel with that extra button, which was the only button missing from my panel, and considering how the button works in an actual diesel Ram, (my step father has a 2014 2500), the button needs to be pressed every time you start the vehicle, and is latching and will stay on as long as the vehicle stays on, until turned off again, it seems like the perfect setup. I know this thread is old but let me know how yours held up because I definitely want to get it ordered.

Thanks,
Jesse

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdog57